Notices

MY06 rear 'creak' or 'squeak' problems

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2006, 08:15 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry MY06 rear 'creak' or 'squeak' problems

Noticed over the last few days that my car has developed an annoying creak or squeak that seems to be coming from the rear. Only seems to do it over certain bumps etc but was just wondering if anybody had similar problems before i book the car in?

The car is a standard WRX PPP with Prodrive springs and PFF7s. The noise can be made my pushing up and down on the boot (hand brake on or off so it's not that creaking). Had my head under the car and it sounds maybe like a bush rubbing, but at other times it sounds more metalic. Very hard to hear exactly where it's coming from either

Tony.
Old 05 August 2006, 08:50 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

Put Nic in the boot and bounce it around, then you'll have a different noise

Seriously tho, if you can get someone to sit in there they'll be able to pin point it a bit easier, sure it's not your big wing flexing on its mounts, with the warm weather the sealant may have softened a bit.
Old 05 August 2006, 08:54 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Definately not the wing, when pushing on the boot i have the boot lid open. It's definately coming from under neath. My money at the moment is on a 'dry' bush.... no jokes please
Old 05 August 2006, 09:18 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

ARB link probably, I've got some nice Powerflex bushes that'll fit the standard links.
Old 05 August 2006, 09:33 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Hopefully just the ARB link bush

As it's warranty work i'll probably take it back to Holdcrofts where i got the car rather than bother Pete with something like this.... but then again i know Pete will get the job done!!!

Powerflex... can't possible fit anything other than standard or Prodrive stuff to the car

Tony.
Old 05 August 2006, 09:34 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

My mates version 9 sti ppp had a similar noise , we found the n/s/r strut as the cause . Open the boot and have someone sit on the edge of the boot and you just hold you fingers on the base of the coil spring as the sit on the boot ( watch your hand if their a bit heavy as you may trap it between the wheel and arch ), do this both sides . If you feel a judder through the coil as they put weight onto the rear it's that strut that's at fault , you will also feel it if you have some one pull up on a wheel arch . My mates only has 8000 miles on it , it's going in for new rear struts under warranty . Hope this helps .
Old 06 August 2006, 04:21 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers... sounds like a similar problem. The WRX now has inverted struts like the STi. Hopefully they haven't aslo got the infamous newage STi rattling dampers