Notices

FP Turbo Failures ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2006, 08:17 AM
Way
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FP Turbo Failures ?

Had a FP2006 since the start of the year .. ran beautifully for 4 months until someinthg came through the exhaust side and trashed the internals of hte turbo. was boosting around 1.4 - 1.5 bar on 102RON.

I'm not in the US so it's a problem getting a rebuild - long story short , we sent it to a local crowd for repairs , they obviously don't stock the FP wheels and put some other crap -25 ? if causing the turbo to be more laggy and surging badly as it comes onto spool , it made 25hp more but i can't live with the surge..

i loved the FP when it was running right ... now my options are :

Deadbolt TD05-20g - less grunt , faster spool.
Deadbolt TD06-20g - similar to FP2006.
Another FP2006 - 1st prize

The FP is quite a bit cheaper to get than the deadbolt and i'd have to import either. Sending the turbo back for rebuild is somewhat a problem.

So my main concern here is .. why did the FP go ( the chaps that took it apart recons looks like firegum came through it , but on the exhaust side? )

Has anyone heard of or noticed alot of failures on these FP2006 turbos ?
Old 20 July 2006, 08:39 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

If something "has gone through the exhaust side", after 4 months, it's got nothing to do with how the turbo was built !

If fire gum was used before the turbo, it's certainly possible that some could dis-lodge, and damage the exhaust wheel, but it would have to be pretty bad before it would effect the compressor wheel.

Why was the compressor wheel changed, was it damaged, or did you change it to get more power ?

Just buy a new compressor wheel, and cover from FP, and have that fitted.

Mark.
Old 20 July 2006, 09:52 AM
Way
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by R19KET
If something "has gone through the exhaust side", after 4 months, it's got nothing to do with how the turbo was built !

If fire gum was used before the turbo, it's certainly possible that some could dis-lodge, and damage the exhaust wheel, but it would have to be pretty bad before it would effect the compressor wheel.

Why was the compressor wheel changed, was it damaged, or did you change it to get more power ?

Just buy a new compressor wheel, and cover from FP, and have that fitted.

Mark.
Both wheels were damage, so we decided to go bigger on the compressor side which caused massiv amounts of surge as it comes onto boost - so much that the car crapped itself and shut down. MY05 STi.

I'm ordering a new compressor cover and wheel from FP later today.Thanks for the input Mark.