Notices

Turbos........

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2006, 02:03 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbos........

I must admit to being confused on this subject & cant find any distinctive information.

I've an STi5 that's done around 70 odd thousand miles & I'm begining to worry that the turbo might be starting to be on it's way out. The engine's fairly standard spec & has a IHI VF28 turbo which I've noticed might be whinning slightly more than before (or is that my imagineation??) I've also recently suffered a dadiator leak & resulting short period of hot running before finding somewhere suitable to stop but then, stupidly as I found out afterwards, used Radweld to try a temp fix on the rad.

Anyway, with the concern it's whinning & possibly now suffering some potential damage to the water galleries, I'm thinking about getting a repacement turbo..... But which one

The obvious choice is another VF28 but I've heard these could be weak if I have some minor tuning in future to up the power a bit?????

I'm lead to believe the TD05 is good, but suffers from a bit of lag???

I think the VF35 / VF34 off later STi's are good, but what are their caracteristics????

Basically, what I want is a unit that is a straight replacement, that will take / give a bit more power (torque / bhp) but doesnt need remapping yet to work ok, & is quick to spool up low enough in the rev range, without lag?

Any informed ideas / opinions most welcome....
Old 14 July 2006, 02:39 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TD05 is much more fun! Its on full boost at around 3.5-4k and gives a nice big kick up the ****
Old 14 July 2006, 09:56 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Davey

if there's no lag the TD05's certainly being considered...

Any other views???
Old 14 July 2006, 10:13 PM
demonsurfer
Scooby Regular

ive got a tdo5 in my wrx sti and it kicks like **** not rearly had too much lag boost to about 1.3
Old 14 July 2006, 10:23 PM
S.P.Developments
Scooby Senior

Location: In the workshop or under some one elses car. PROJECT RA 09 IS GO.

VF34 with supporting mod`s will give you 320+ @ 1.25bar, and with respect should not destroy your gearbox..

John
Old 15 July 2006, 12:47 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

VF34 would be my choice. I ran one of these on my RB5 and it transformed the car.

Daz
Old 15 July 2006, 10:29 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys...

So,... the TD05 delivers a big wallop of boost / power low enough down the revs, but does it then tail off??

Or, the VF34 / VF35 (similar?) which might give a bit more gradual power delivery???

I guess ultimately it comes down to personal choise of what people like. I guess I prefer more of a strong but gradual, rather than sudden, delivery, and one which doesnt run out of puff higher up the revs....