Notices

What shall i do

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2006, 04:16 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What shall i do

The number two piston has gone on my 94 wrx , so i,ve been considering what to do regarding engine rebuild , after looking and asking about finally come to the conclusion its gona cost an arm and a leg , the problem is ive just been offered to buy a t reg wrx that apparantly had an engine rebuild from api 3000 miles ago, any advise on what i should do , would t reg make it a my99, cheers
please help me decide...
Old 04 July 2006, 06:53 PM
320bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dav 27
The number two piston has gone on my 94 wrx , so i,ve been considering what to do regarding engine rebuild , after looking and asking about finally come to the conclusion its gona cost an arm and a leg , the problem is ive just been offered to buy a t reg wrx that apparantly had an engine rebuild from api 3000 miles ago, any advise on what i should do , would t reg make it a my99, cheers
please help me decide...

2.5 coversion!!! look on here www.flat4online.com
Old 04 July 2006, 07:49 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default help

Originally Posted by 320bhp
2.5 coversion!!! look on here www.flat4online.com
so you reckon i should just get mine done ,its just the messing on getting all parts together etc and knowing exactly what to get and whats compatible with 2.5 block ,would my head and stuff fit ? , the car i have been offered ,is a uk spec car ,with a full strip down ,rebuild , with sti cams ,larger turbo,lightened flywheel,polished header and re mapped ,plus new stronger gear box to cope with it all,the cost of engine and drive train up grade cost 6 k supose to be 306 bhp ,
seriously considering it , but never seen or heard the car yet , plus all reciepts of work from api engines ,approx 3000 miles ago ,
any ideas
Old 04 July 2006, 07:52 PM
320bhp
Scooby Regular

Everything on the 2 litre is compatible on the 2.5. My mates just fitted his own after number 4 gave way on his 2 litre. Its a straight swap.
Old 04 July 2006, 08:09 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Everything on the 2 litre is compatible on the 2.5. My mates just fitted his own after number 4 gave way on his 2 litre. Its a straight swap.
mmmm tempting ....mmmm
Old 04 July 2006, 08:23 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

what about oil pumps etc , would i need to upgrade them , fuel injectors etc , could anyone do abit of a list of the things i would need to purchase, to be able to make this upgrade possible , as my engine has melted number 2 piston i think i would be a good idea to upgrade , oil pump etc , anyone ?
i am realy in a dilemma , car been off road 2 weeks and im itching to get back in it ,cheers
Old 04 July 2006, 09:07 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dav27, Don't be fooled, you will NOT get a 2.5 conversion into a 94 car AND running right for less than 5 G's.

David APi
Old 04 July 2006, 09:58 PM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

Checkout the projects section there is an excellent project by baz or daz davies, It goes from stripping down to sourcing parts and rebuilding and is easy to follow. Confidence is all you need and there are plenty of fellow enthusiasts here to help you. If you did it as a project you would have the eyes of everyone to help you. !!!!!!!
Old 04 July 2006, 10:57 PM
320bhp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Dav27, Don't be fooled, you will NOT get a 2.5 conversion into a 94 car AND running right for less than 5 G's.

David APi

Have to disagree with you there!!!
Old 04 July 2006, 10:59 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Default mm

cheers for the ideas guys , still tempted by the wrx that ive been offered but its red ha ha ha ,much prefare white , as for project as much as i would love to have the time to be able to start such a venture ,i need me car back on road and if i started stripping car mesell knowing my luck i wouldnt get it finished till next year with work commitments/family , as for the other car abit unsure about his claims of full rebuild etc although he says he has reciepts n stuff .but why sell it after 3000 miles ,he says work commitments .the boggling continues
Old 05 July 2006, 07:46 AM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

So thinking about it , would it make sense to get my own import wrx upto speed again via engine rebuild route , or does this uk turbo 2000 , 1999, with engine rebuild running at 300 bhp sound a good buy , really stuck as to what to do , any help deciding is appreciated , i supose it will be less insurance , but will it be as fun to drive , cheers
Old 05 July 2006, 10:43 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Have to disagree with you there!!!
What year is your mates car?
Old 05 July 2006, 10:59 AM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
What year is your mates car?
its a 1999 david , that apparantly had full rebuild from yourselves, at 99.000 miles now has 102.000 ,with sti 7 cams ,vf28 high roller turbo ,polished headers, de cat down pipe .lightened flywheel and stronger gear box to cope ,with rear diff service , and the car has been re mapped , total cost of build and upgrades 6 k apparantly , as much as i like the look of the spec , i love my car ,especially with it being white incl sunroof and electric aerial i know its stupid things i like about my car but ive had it over 3 years and i love it ,plus i think white sets it off , ,could you advise me on benefits of getting mine rebuilt if there is any against buying the other car ,or does the other car just sound a better option ,plus if i were to get my car rebuilt i would have to get a new ecu wouldnt i as mine cant be mapped ,just to cope with uk fuel and engine failure probs in the future as i,m planning on keeping it if i get it built , as the one in mine is a z4, cheers apidavid ,,, Dave
Old 05 July 2006, 11:13 AM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

You say in the first post 'will cost an arm and a leg'

How much do you have to spend on repairing your own engine? As API David says a 2.5 is not the cheapest way of doing it - and your insurance company will not like it either.

You can get a full rebuild at a reputable company for 2-2.5K, considerably less if you DIY it.
Old 05 July 2006, 04:20 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1mark
You say in the first post 'will cost an arm and a leg'

How much do you have to spend on repairing your own engine? As API David says a 2.5 is not the cheapest way of doing it - and your insurance company will not like it either.

You can get a full rebuild at a reputable company for 2-2.5K, considerably less if you DIY it.
i meant i was gona maybe have to spend 2k or above for a rebuild , ,that is what i class as an arm and a leg, considering i could buy a my1999 uk turbo with a full rebuild 3k miles ago for not much more than its gonna cost to repair my own , if that makes sense......
Old 06 July 2006, 10:50 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Dav 27
its a 1999 david , that apparantly had full rebuild from yourselves, at 99.000 miles now has 102.000 ,with sti 7 cams ,vf28 high roller turbo ,polished headers, de cat down pipe .lightened flywheel and stronger gear box to cope ,with rear diff service , and the car has been re mapped , total cost of build and upgrades 6 k apparantly , as much as i like the look of the spec , i love my car ,especially with it being white incl sunroof and electric aerial i know its stupid things i like about my car but ive had it over 3 years and i love it ,plus i think white sets it off , ,could you advise me on benefits of getting mine rebuilt if there is any against buying the other car ,or does the other car just sound a better option ,plus if i were to get my car rebuilt i would have to get a new ecu wouldnt i as mine cant be mapped ,just to cope with uk fuel and engine failure probs in the future as i,m planning on keeping it if i get it built , as the one in mine is a z4, cheers apidavid ,,, Dave
Ok! so the later car is an option, but what is its mechanical condition generally? What is to say that you'll start the Subaru modding cycle all over again on a later car.

The Z4 is a good ecu but it'll need at least a ScoobyEcu rewrite to map it right for Uk fuel Not super expensive but necessary as a means to preserve the engine long term. The later car can be ecutek'd of course.

Then what do you do with your original car with a busted engine? It's worth nothing as it stands.

The question above was directed at the 320hp guy from Essex to see which car his mate had.

David APi
Old 06 July 2006, 03:45 PM
Dav 27
Scooby Regular

appreciate your input apidavid , i know exsctly what your saying ,it just seems a difficult decision to make ,me heeds up me **** and times ticking , aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, f,,king cars