Notices

Front window screen rubber seal

Old 04 July 2006, 01:12 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front window screen rubber seal

Looks like some pond life has tried to break into my type R. Have Tom Tom but although I remove the unit, the screen mount remained in the car. Anyway, the top rubber seal has been ripped off the car and so the top of the windscreen in totally exposed.

Is this an easy replacement. Have a guy coming out tomorrow but he is talking about also having to remove the screen, and this is likely to break, etc etc. My insurance covers a new screen, but only through their own operators and this guy is linked to Tileys Subaru in Bristol, and is highly recommended. But I don't want to fork out for a new screen if its just a rubber seal that needs replacing.

Also the back top seal has been prised loose as well by the looks of things, but thats still on the car, although flapping!

Advise would be appreciated.
Old 04 July 2006, 01:37 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

It depends on how it's come out,
The trim at the top of the window is held in by about 6 plasitc clips which have small lugs that locate under the top edge of the glass. The trim is normally fitted when the window is fitted as the extra glue that gets squeezed out also helps to "grab" the clips and help hold them in position.

I would imagine the clips will have snapped when the trim was forced off but if your lucku you may be able to get new clips to go back into the impressions left in the glue, might also be worth using some "sikoflex" bonding sealer or similar to help hold them in place.

Your abviously going to need a new trim which is about £16 from a dealer and it comes with the clips already in it.

The back window is the same and will probably require the same doing to it.

If you cant get the clips to locate under the window again then i'm affraid you will have to cut the windows out, a decent window company should be able to remove them without breaking them, most charge around £50 to remove and refit a screen.

If you need to remove the windows you will also have to remove the rest of the trims and buy new clips for up the sides of both front and rear screens, the ones on the roof slide either backwards or forwards depending on what side of the car your on, near side i think you slide them backwards and off side slide the forwards. You will also need the seal at the bottom of the back window as this gets cut in half when the window is removed.

Hope this helps

Kenny

Last edited by Kenny.S; 04 July 2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05 July 2006, 01:10 PM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

thanks kenny

back is fine, so is front as he has managed to fit both without removing the windows - but at a cost - £130 but it took 3 hours all in to do.

once again, thanks for your help
Old 23 November 2012, 06:06 AM
fiberglassscreen
Scooby Newbie

there you can find the china fiberglass insect screen