Down On Power

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2006, 08:55 AM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down On Power

Hi guys,

I've got my wrx ppp (my02) going into the dealers on Tuesday because the car doesn't seem to be very powerfull. The dealer had a quick look last week and noticed the knock sensor was showing a negative reading. He reset this for me and told me to bring it back. Now, the car does seem a little nippier but still no where near as quick as i expect. A wrx with the prodrive pack is meant to be quick right?? The scenario is, i can accelerate hard and the turbo starts to wind up, i get to about 4000rpm and then it seems to back off and doesn't feel to accelerate as hard as it does in the lower rev band (when the turbo first spins up). I've been told about overboosting on earlier models after a service (something about the oil causing a hydraulic effect in the boost valve)is this the valve that is connected to the wastgate (wastgate control valve??) i thought this fault was on earlier models and not on later ones?? Also someone mentioned (not on this forum i might add) that a few cars had a production fault where the pipes going to the wastegate control valve were fitted the wrong way round (mine are setup as follows) Pipe coming from turbo via wastegate goes into bottom of valve, pipe from top/front goes to air box. Is this correct?? Sorry if this all seems a little confusing. I can't help tinkering with things when somethings not right, plus if the fault was cured before the dealer gets his hands on it, i save some cash............

Thanks

Mark
Old 21 May 2006, 04:22 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Might want to do a search on cleaning out the wastegate boost solenoid and associated hoses with brake cleaner. Apparantly they can become blocked if the engine is overfilled with oil (causing boost related problems)
I don't think your model is immune to this type of problem.
Old 21 May 2006, 04:53 PM
Steppler
Scooby Regular

>Might want to do a search on cleaning out the wastegate boost solenoid and associated hoses with brake cleaner<

Cheers pal. I already tried it. Didn't notice much differnece. Do you know which way the pipes should be on the wastegate solenoid. I think mine are the wrong way round. Tried a quick swap over and it seems to pull really well now. I don't want to leave it permenanlty this way incase it's the wrong way round. I've now got the pipe coming from the turbo/wastgate going to the front/middle of the solenoid, and the pipe coming from the air box going to the bottom of the solenoid. Is this correct ??

Cheers