Notices

Problems with new windscreen- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2006, 10:53 AM
Slick555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problems with new windscreen- HELP

Just had a new screen fitted to my MY00 Turbo. It was fitted by the RAC and I wasn't over happy when the fitter took the wipers off and put them on the roof, followed by trim bits layed across the wipers. Don't think he was worried about scratches! or too worried when I asked him about it. However now its fitted the headlining where it meets the screen is now noisy - making a noise like bubble wrap being popped. I think its settled down abit and while not that noisy it is still there and its getting on my nerves. Anyone had any similar experiences or called the fitters back? I'm willing to accept the beads of sealant that weren'y wiped of the inside (no really)
Cheers
Old 13 May 2006, 12:34 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

I had a new windscreen fitted in a Orion a few years back now... that creaked... they said it would settle down but it didn't.... take it back... it ain't been fitted right... I'd have ago about them laying parts all over it too...
Old 13 May 2006, 08:12 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slick555
Just had a new screen fitted to my MY00 Turbo. It was fitted by the RAC and I wasn't over happy when the fitter took the wipers off and put them on the roof, followed by trim bits layed across the wipers. Don't think he was worried about scratches! or too worried when I asked him about it. However now its fitted the headlining where it meets the screen is now noisy - making a noise like bubble wrap being popped. I think its settled down abit and while not that noisy it is still there and its getting on my nerves. Anyone had any similar experiences or called the fitters back? I'm willing to accept the beads of sealant that weren'y wiped of the inside (no really)
Cheers
I had the exact same problem a few weeks back with Autoglass.
I removed the sun visors and their brackets. I also removed the rear view mirror.

I then pulled the headlining away from the roof to break the seal it had made in places with the new sealant. Then refitted Sun visors and mirror etc...

Took about 10-15mins but seems to of cured it.

You could trim back the excess sealnt with a stanley knife but it's abit tricky as you are working upside down and at a funny angle. I was going to do this but in the end just freeing the headlining from the sealant seems to of fixed it.