Double Din size Problems !

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2006, 02:29 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Double Din size Problems !

Hi Guys - hope you can help?

I have a MY01 UK spec Impreza WRX and have recently changed from the standard double din fitted by Subaru which is bolted from behind the fascia.

I've now installed a dvd plater unit and a dvd din unit - theoretically as I have now 2 units they should simply slot into place but no

In Subaru's infinite wisdom they've not got standard sizes ! I've had to butcher the silver fascia around the heating controls etc by cutting around it and filing it down so the new units slot it! Only problem is that they're still a very bad fit - idealy what I need is some form of double din cage and silver fascia panel into which I can slot my new units!

In the end of resorted to a bodge-job but want to fix the problem asap!

If somebody can suggest a solution? I did have a single din unit for a very short while and purchased an Autoleads 'glove-box' thingy which replaced the 2nd din slot. This was a universal fit and was a crap fit too !!

HELP !!!

thanks, Jai
Old 13 May 2006, 09:12 AM
Rajaman
Scooby Regular

Unscrew the brackets which hold the original unit in place, there is one on each side, and use these to mount your new units, they will then fit perfectly, and there is no need to trim, cut anything down
The standard unit is double din, and 2 single din units fit perfectly, I have a clarion MP3 player and a clarion navigastion unit, and have done this in 2 of my new age cars without any problems
Hope this helps
ray
Old 13 May 2006, 10:05 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

CHeers Ray - thing is that means the new units need to be positioned behind the fascia - won't that mean that putting the face-off on will be difficult as the unit will be slightly recessed?

I stupidly broke one of the brackets so hope I can do the job with the one remaining?

thanks for your help mate
Old 13 May 2006, 02:30 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
From what I've seen,few single din H/units fit the newage facia very well.
Must disagree; this Alpine matches the silver pretty well (poor piccy doesn't really show this):

Old 13 May 2006, 02:30 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem with my classic, i brought the Alpine double din monitor, double din slot my ****, i've lost the ash tray and nearly the lighter plug, brought a new surround from Grade A just in case i want to change back.
Old 13 May 2006, 02:34 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I've replaced the standrad HU with a kenwood single DIN, perfect fit?

This may be obvious but when people say they don't fit are you trying to fit the HU with the euro plastic surround and cage.... it will obviously be too big with that fitted. They bolt in, not slide in!

Tony.
Old 13 May 2006, 06:16 PM
Andy 02STI
Scooby Regular

Put single din Pioner in today and had to cut away part of the HU to make the panel go back in - looks fine with the face on but a bit ropey with the face off. Still at least I got my i-pod in now so no more cd'd rattling around the glove box.
Old 14 May 2006, 12:05 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

thanks guys for your help and tips

Bolted in the two units using a combination of bodging and brackets Even after doing the bolting so the units are behind the fascia now I have the problem of my face-off panel not fitting as the fascia is not wide enough - now i'll need to hack about 2mm off each side!! :-(

Annoyed!
Old 14 May 2006, 12:13 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

No idea why people are having probs... have put in the current kenwood and also sony, pioneer and jvc all in 15mins with no cutting or bodging . Have you guys got pics of the headunits and what you're actually doing? Something doesn't sound right!

Tony.
Old 14 May 2006, 02:57 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony, will try get some pic's tomorrow but the face-off panel is physically larger than the fascia 'hole' and if the unit is bolted in behind the fascia then there's only so much you can pull it out.

I've used L shape brackets to hold in the 2 DIN units and I've left them somewhat lose so they can pivot allowing me to move them into the correct place when the fascia goes on.

Trouble now is that the face-off is too large and I can't pull the din unit out any further as the unit is too large for the fascia too !!

According to the manufacturer size required for the 2 units is : 192 x 178 x 50mm but the length from left to right of the fascia pockets is 173mm

It's driving me nuts !!
Old 18 June 2011, 01:35 PM
jayhmay
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Swen6
Had the same problem with my classic, i brought the Alpine double din monitor, double din slot my ****, i've lost the ash tray and nearly the lighter plug, brought a new surround from Grade A just in case i want to change back.
I have had the same problem tryin to install a double din dvdplayer!! had to trim the facia as the face flips down on the headunit! fitted it and not realy likin the end product. any one know where I can buy a new dash fashia for a 2003 newage wrx?? does this "grade a" have a website???
Old 18 June 2011, 01:51 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

When i bought my WRX few months ago it had a double din headunit fitted already.. i really didn't like it so out it came... only then did i discover the previous owner had butchered the fascia in order for it to fit, so it seems you might have to do just that sadly..
Old 24 January 2012, 10:28 AM
T45TY T
Scooby Newbie

I'm having the same problem. 2001 WRX, Standard Double Din Subaru unit out. Went to put my Parrot Asteroid Single Din unit in and the unit is too wide dor the facia. Only options are to either cut the silver plastic which I don't want to do, or buy a new facia which I can't find!!

Has anyone that has had this problem come up with a decent solution or am I going to need to start hacking away???

Cheers

Tom
Old 24 January 2012, 09:36 PM
scoobyjunky
Scooby Regular

I have a 2001 bug wagon and i fitted a jvc double din unit about three weeks ago there is definatly no need to cut anything used the old brackets from the standard unit fits in perfect and the detachable panel comes on and off too it will all depend on the headunit that you are fitting i have herd that they are a lot of ebay jobbies that dont fit best bet is to talk change the headunit and speak to perhaps caraudiodirect.co.uk and ask which will fit without addaptions to you fascia
Old 25 January 2012, 09:54 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the OEM unit, a JVC unit with an Autoleads pocket, then later a Forester pocket, and now am running a Pioneer double-din unit.

With the Forester pocket I just drilled a couple of extra holes in the stereo brackets that you use to mount the head unit.
Any decent OEM sized head unit should fit, but you may find the fascia surround won't (as I had with my JVC).
I just left it off - the JVC was silver and it matched. See here (face plate not there but you get the idea):

Evidently, based on comments above, some head units may not clear the Subaru trim due to excessively wide face off plates.

Pioneer unit is a perfect fit, looks OEM. I'm running a Hawkeye centre console now, but the JVC unit and Forester pocket fitted with both setups without an issue.

Might help if you post a pic so we can see what you're talking about mate, but FYI you definitely should not need a fascia adapter - as you have already noted, the existing aperature is fairly slim already so adding more plastic would be bonkers!

Last edited by MrNoisy; 25 January 2012 at 09:58 AM.