car missing running ruff

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2006, 10:45 PM
hazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car missing running ruff

any ideas guys !!

98 wrx jap import starts up fine sounds good not missing but when i go to drive it it will miss now and again doesnt seem to be any type of pattern can miss at 3 or 4 or 5ooo then clear then miss again . one min it will run fine and pull well, next it will miss then clear . put new plugs in checked all hoses and stuff like that .. at a loss any ideas would be great ...thanks
Old 13 May 2006, 11:04 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ht leads perhaps
Old 13 May 2006, 11:18 PM
scooby-wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi, I'm having the same problems with a 97 JDM WRX. It's so bad now I can't even drive it for five mins... Replaced plugs, MAF sensor, fuel filter & pump. It would be fine 'once I had reset the ECU' for a few days but it always came back. Please let us know once you've managed to get it fixed. I'll do the same my car is booked in for Tues...
Old 13 May 2006, 11:48 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

I have a similar (if not identical) problem on my STi 4 Type R. I've done the same checks/replacements as you two. This morning I paid a visit to Subaru4you to have it looked at (no problems identified).

I'm changing the HT leads next (www.sparkplugs.co.uk). If that doesn't fix it, then I'll change the coil next. Len (Subaru4you) also suggested the crankshaft position sensor could be playing up. I might change it if all else fails.

Len also checked the loom connector that sits under the windscreen washer bottle (the big one). A poor connection of one particular pin can lead to poor running problems (mine had oxidised copper on it when he looked at it!). Separate the connector and check all pins are clean and okay.

Also consider changing the O2 sensor (they don't last very well, in my experience and I had misfire/lumpy running with my MY95 WRX for 18 months, all because of an undiagnosed problem with the O2 sensor! I changed it and the car ran beautifully.
Old 14 May 2006, 10:43 PM
hazy
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys so far guys ..after messing with it today i have discoverd that there is a problem with number one plug or lead as i pull it off and it doesnt make anydifference to the engine at all. but i think there is another problem as i noticed the car is chuffing out black smoke and quite a bit of it . i have put a decat on it and was wondering if this could be causing the problem..
Old 28 May 2006, 06:10 PM
scooby-wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi, just interested to find out what your problem was if you got it fixed. My car was at Subaru for 10 days and they called me to come pick it up because they could not find anything wrong, but I'm still having the same problem. Black smoke, revs dropping etc...

Thanks.