Notices

porting headers

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2006, 08:06 PM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porting headers

Could somone tell if i have got this right,i have marked where i think i have to port,please correct me if im wrong.Also why take off the shielding only to replace it with heat wrap? Thanks in advance
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...rs_wrapped.jpg
Old 13 April 2006, 09:02 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Looks about right to me. Check with Harvey to see what he thinks.

The wrap is better at keeping heat in than the shields which are there to protect from the elements rather than help with heat.

I have some pics here of what I did. I was always wondering if the outlet from the collector to the up-pipe should be opened up.

http://www.zen24039.zen.co.uk/Scooby...20WRX/Headers/
Old 13 April 2006, 10:22 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

If you've got a few hundred quid lying around I'd ask Harvey to sort you out on an exchange basis. Take his uppipe as well and get the whole lot wrapped for good measure. Brilliant results, quality workmanship and the neatest wrap job you'll ever see.
Old 13 April 2006, 10:47 AM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

I have contacted harvey on a few occasions for info and have done loads of searching,the only reason for porting them myself was to keep the price down.I was advised to get the map adjusted after fitting which then runs into around £500 plus, that's inc the work done by harvey.Is it realy worth the time and money.What are the power gains?
Old 13 April 2006, 11:02 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Here's a C+P of some info Harvey sent to me. I'm sure he won't mind me posting it.

Harvey -

"Until recently I just ported the headers and the standard uppipe and everybody has raved about the results. Andy F did independant tests and my ported headers got to within 5 bhp of the best tubular headers he used but my advantage was the early spool from the ported OE whereas the tubular were 350-400 rpm later which is quite a big difference in road driveability.

I did notice that some people with OE turbos were fitting 50 or 52 mm uppipes on the OE ported headers in the mistaken belief that the OE uppipe was a major constraint. Unfortunately for them the large diameter uppipe slugged spool and detracted from some of the benefits of my porting.
I then started examining the gas flow in the ported headers which is designed to accelerate from each runner. 2 and 4 cylinders come together, go through a cross pipe (accross the front of the engine) and join 1 and 3 cylinders at the collector. For bigger power applications I now open out the flow from the collector to the uppipe but at this point the OE uppipe becomes inadequate hence my replacement, purpose designed for best flow after various experiments as to the optimum diameter. The uppipe also benefits from a slip joint and is made from high quality stainless steel.
It is all very interesting stuff and the special uppipe will be of interest to those pushing for maximum power from their modifications with TD05 or VF28 type turbos or above. There would be no point in doing this with a TD04.
I hope this explanation is of interest to you."

Old 13 April 2006, 11:10 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Additionally, I had mine done because my aftermarket (inherited) headers were blowing. The mod on it's own will offer some, but not blistering gains. It's the way the earlier spool up makes the motor so much more driveable that impressed me, but that was of course back to back with knackered aftermarkets. I used the word brilliant in an earlier post, and for the money I think it's a fair description.

Last edited by JTaylor; 13 April 2006 at 11:13 AM.