Notices

uk vs ra

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2006, 05:14 PM
hivis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk vs ra

Hi everyone my m8 picked up a v2 sti ra yesterday and he raced me in my95 uk turbo with exhaust,hks airfilter, sti intercooler peaking at 15psi how ever we raced from standstill midrange top end we was more or less the same although i was slightly quicker in 2nd.Does this sound possible as he thought he would blow me away. We both have td05 same intercooler both run optimax but he peaks at 1.2 bar what does everyone think. CHEERS
Old 10 March 2006, 05:58 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

if you are both running virtually the same spec why should he blow you away
Old 10 March 2006, 06:13 PM
hivis
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for replying we just thought because everyone goes on about how fast sti's are. Early uk models 94&95 have alley bonnets as well
Old 10 March 2006, 08:27 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

hmmm hes running more boost and it is an sti and you have a uk turbo so there is a bit of difference in power straight away (he will or should have more) I would say you have a good car or his is not so good
Old 10 March 2006, 08:35 PM
hivis
Scooby Regular

But they are basically the same except ecu on the sti is mapped to run 102 oct and his using 98 so your not going to get the same power you would in japan anyway. And as i said early uk came from the factory with ally bonnet and boot just like the imports they even have the same turbos as standard td05. I just cant see where the extra real power comes on early scoobs and you could see it on the road. Cheers for your reply.
Old 10 March 2006, 10:03 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

even if your mates car is faster than yours, have you not considered your just a better driver
Old 10 March 2006, 10:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing similar in your cars, the STi has a different makeup in the engine, different turbo, injectors, manifold, exhaust etc, about the only thing thats the same is the subaru badge and the JDM car may not even have that
Chances are, hes not got a good car or its not running well, it should be run on optimax/octane booster or similar to gain the 100 ron fuel limit.
He should also have shorter ratio's than you, running out at about 130ish mph, 275ps and more torque, but if you have modified then you could be pushing near this and his loosing power.
Too many variables to consider, though a rolling road would pick up any faults

Tony
Old 11 March 2006, 01:42 PM
hivis
Scooby Regular

Talking

You say that the sti has different injectors but being both my95 i thought they had grey 380's and whats the difference with the turbo's has it got a better td05. Exhaust wise its exactly the same as my old std exhaust 1 cat in down pipe with twin tail pipe back box. Cheers for all the replys so do i flog mine and get the same my ra dont no
Old 11 March 2006, 01:59 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

If you are running 15psi in your uk then you should expect it to be as fast as the sti. A uk runs 11.7 psi as standard IIRC. That extra 3.3 psi would make a lot of difference.

The best thing about sti's as that you can run higher boost and stress the engine more than you can a WRX or UK car due to stronger internals.

The difference between the sti and the UK on these early models is essentially some of the internals are tougher on the sti, the cam profile is a bit different on the sti and the ecu is mapped for more boost, and the gearbox ratios are lower.

If you modify a UK car it is easy to get past the Sti power figures, but the sti has more potential for further modification...
Old 11 March 2006, 05:18 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry to thread hijack a little but my UK car boosts to 16psi and then drops to around 15psi.

I recently test drove a Type R V3 (one of the first 2 doors available I assume) and was really disappointed with its performance. The owner thought it would be a big difference to me to my UK car and I found myself shouting at it to get on with it. All ran fine and didn't make dodgy noises just didn't fell "that" much faster.

I put it down to maybe it needed mapping or something. Don't know what fuel it had in it.

With the gearing and it being a Type R I thought it would be a big difference in performance.

Although its only TEK2 and about 270 (on a good day 250 in reality I guess ) I've sat behind an 03 STI that upset me by overtaking through a village. I expected it to romp off and it just couldn't get away (it is much heavier though)