Notices

downpipe removal

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2006, 07:39 PM
kid unknown
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downpipe removal

hello i need to replace my downpipe, is this a hard job? im sure many of you do this every mot time, can anybody explain best way to get it off,

thanks
Old 08 March 2006, 08:28 PM
hamyam
Scooby Regular

hope to be doinng mine tomorrow as well just waiting on the heat wrap
Old 08 March 2006, 08:34 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

easier to change a centre section for the MOT, wouldn't want to do the downpipe every year, although it's not that hard a job with the right tools.

Andy
Old 09 March 2006, 08:24 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

good decent set of tools is needed, along with some releasing agent (wd40 or equivalent). This is what I would do for a classic (dont know how different it is for a bugeye/blobeye)
your best bet is the night before you do it, remove your turbo heat shield and spray the bolts with wd40. leave to soak overnight. In the morning give them another very good spraying again.

Remove the intercooler (assuming its a top mount) and the relevant pipework. Be careful as the plastic pipework can become brittle and can break.

loosen the downpipe nuts, you may need to use a bit of force depending on how long they have been on undisturbed. If they wont budge, then spray some more wd40 on and go and have a cup of tea.

Try again hopefully they will move, so just undo the nuts but dont remove them completely. Think there is either 4, 5, or 6 nuts (been a while)

Jack the front of the car up and place on axle stands. You can do both sides or just the drivers side. Loosen the 2 nuts/bolts that connect the downpipe to the centre section, and also you will probably have like a bracket dangling down which is bolted to the downpipe as well. Undo this one completely (the bracket wont fall off as its attached I think to the gearbox mounting.
Finish of removing the 2 nuts/bolts conncting the downpipe to the centre section, and seperate the 2 sections. (probably need to give it a good bit of wiggling about.
Once free, finish of removing the nuts at the turbo side, and then simply remove the downpipe (remove from under the car)
Offer up the new downpipe (the downpipe gasket should be okay as they are decent gaskets) line it up and put the nuts back on the studs. (depending on hard it was to get the nuts off it may be an idea to replace them) Get back under the car again, line the dangling bracket up again and lightly do that up, and then the centre section.
Once all line up and the threads started, just tighten up to the correct torque settings (cant remember these but I just did it very tight!!)

Replace heatshield (it may need cutting to fit as they don't always go back on), make sure it doesnt catch on your steering arm.

Refit intercooler, (may need a container with some boiling water for this to make some pipes more flexible), tighten everything up, check that no tools have been left in the engine etc, start the car and check for leaks.

(if your old downpipe had the cat on fire sensor just disconnect this from the loom as it isnt needed )

If everything goes smoothly set aside about 2 hrs for this (that is taking your time with plenty of tea breaks included)
Old 09 March 2006, 03:29 PM
kid unknown
Scooby Regular

thanks for suck a good walkthrough, will go spray wd40 now

thanks again
Old 09 March 2006, 05:37 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

my backs gone...... come and do mine lol