Notices

Warning Lights on Dash

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2006, 10:27 PM
stevie_b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Lights on Dash

When you switch the key around to position two before you start the engine some of the warning lights on the dashboard illuminate in order for you to check the bulbs are working. On my STI v4 I get a bunch of lights on the display at the bottom in the middle of speedo and rev counter and on the far left I get one that looks like a low radiator level warning (red light in shape of rad cap) and ABS light and top left in a little circle I get a light that says 'Airbag'. A couple of these go off after a few seconds.

However, on my STI6 Type RA I only get the central bunch illuminating. I have no ABS, so not surprised I didn't see that, but I also didn't get the airbag light or coolant level light. Does anyone else have a version 6/MY00 car who might be able to confirm for me that this is the normal light sequence on this car?

Car got very hot a while ago (temp climbed to 'H' level but dropped again when car was moving over 30 mph) and when I checked coolant after it had cooled down the header tank was completely empty. I topped it back up and consoled myself that no real damage should have been caused since there were no warning lights suggesting a more serious loss. Would you expect to see a light come on warning of overheating or loss of coolant if this had occurred? If you had no coolant left would the temp gauge drop down to zero?

Thanks

Steve
Old 06 March 2006, 10:06 PM
stevie_b
Scooby Regular

Got some pics in case that helps see what I mean...

Here's my STI4 dash with the light on the left (circled in red) that I presume warns of 'low coolant level'?

But on the STI6 RA I don't see such a light at pre-startup...

Did they get rid of it on later models? If I had driven the car with a dangerously low level of coolant would any other warning light come on (e.g. the check engine light)? As I said above, the temp gauge went to max (H) but I did take it very easy - maybe no more than 1k-2k revs for 2 mins, heaters cranked on, until on the open road the temp went back down so I assumed all was well until I checked and found the header tank empty. Should I be concerned? I thought my coolant low level light would be my safeguard, but if I don't have one....

Thanks

Steve
Old 07 March 2006, 12:41 AM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have a MY00 (but only had it a month). Always notice the airbag warning light, now and again have noticed the ABS - but never seen the coolant warning light?
Old 07 March 2006, 08:30 AM
stevie_b
Scooby Regular

I've been told that the light circled in red on my STI4 is the 'cat on fire' light that warns of too high a temperature going down the pipe that could damage the cat. This check didn't exist on the STI6. So my question now is... If the coolant reaches a dangerously low level or the engine overheats does some light come on to warn you of the fact? And/or if you ran out of coolant would the temp gauge drop to zero?

Thanks