Notices

Water Pump - How much?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2006, 09:50 AM
moron
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump - How much?

Last night my 99 Classic disappeared under a cloud of steam. Didn't overheat - just water leaking from somewhere under the bonnet. I suspect the waterpump. Any ideas how much I'm going to be stung for this (took it to a non-franchised garage) and does it sound like it could be something more serious? I first noticed the steam a couple of days ago and it's gotten gradually worse.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:05 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

could very well be the endplates on your radiator. these are prone to cracking and letting water/vapour escape, can be hard to spot. Pop your bonnet, start the car up and look on the side of the radiator on both sides, you may see a trickle whilst it is idling, if you cant see anything, open the throttle by hand (just be careful that water doesnt shoot up from somewhere and burn you)
Old 19 January 2006, 10:11 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

if it's the rad, very cheap and easy to do your self. not sure about water pump.

like what Jaytc2003 said. start it and have a look. just touch the rev's to get a little more pressure. then hopefully you will see where it's coming from.

G.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:14 AM
moron
Scooby Newbie

'tis in the garage now but when I looked - there was water splashes on the underside of the bonnet and around what I presume was the waterpump (was attached to a belt) - if the waterpump is pretty central on the front of the engine that is.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:28 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

hmmm would definately get them to check the radiator, when mine went it sprayed it on the underside of the bonnet, and along the offside wing (inside)
Also I would check the hoses as these can split and spew coolant when under pressure.

If it is the rad then you would be looking at about £120 for a new rad, its an hours work at most to change it, advisable to do it yourself to save labour costs.

If its the water pump, then I think you have to remove the timing belt so would probably be advisable to ge this changed at the same time, shouldnt get charged extra labour as they have to do it anyway.
Old 19 January 2006, 10:39 AM
moron
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
hmmm would definately get them to check the radiator, when mine went it sprayed it on the underside of the bonnet, and along the offside wing (inside)
Also I would check the hoses as these can split and spew coolant when under pressure.

If it is the rad then you would be looking at about £120 for a new rad, its an hours work at most to change it, advisable to do it yourself to save labour costs.

If its the water pump, then I think you have to remove the timing belt so would probably be advisable to ge this changed at the same time, shouldnt get charged extra labour as they have to do it anyway.
So a kind of bonus then as it was booked in next Friday for the timing belt in any case . Out of interest, (probably been asked millions of times - stoopid Newbs!) but what's a fair price for the timing belt job and do the pulleys need changing at the same time?
Old 19 January 2006, 11:22 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Think timing belts usually cost around about £200, dont think the pulleys need changing though unless they are broken. Mind you could be an excuse for lightened ones!!
Old 19 January 2006, 05:18 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Try AS performance for a water pump next day delivery for very good price , less than £100 when mine went , water pump is on the right hand side of engine they do have a pressure relief valve in so if it overheats these pop out protects engine , once the relief valve has gone new pump required.

good luck

Mark
Old 19 January 2006, 05:40 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KLR16V
Try AS performance for a water pump next day delivery for very good price , less than £100 when mine went , water pump is on the right hand side of engine they do have a pressure relief valve in so if it overheats these pop out protects engine , once the relief valve has gone new pump required.

good luck

Mark
Mark, how is the pump driven? is it by the timing belt or alternator belt or is it mechanical?
Old 19 January 2006, 06:16 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Timing belt , check you get a new gasket i did get one off alan with the pump , i would also fit a new stat as these bolt onto the water pump mine failed ,did not notice temp gauge until missfiring tooooo late , head gasket went on one side radiator popped ,relief valve on pump went stripped engine down and re-buit myself . new stat is only a few quid , it stuck when i first bought the car 6 years ago and so changed it only to last 4 years and go again ,as they are so cheap about £12 will probably change every couple of years

Mark