Notices

please help,sti

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2006, 12:42 AM
andysscooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help,sti

lam new to owning my 04 sti prodrive, just a few questions for you people in the know, 1), when driving up to the red line, the car doesnt feel smooth, as if the engine is very slightly stuttering, l run it on optimax. 2)at certain speeds there is a druming which can be heard, like a wheel bearing noise, but goes away at speed. 3) can l get front fog lights for the front, do l have to use geniune , or not. lam after the ones which go behind the covers, many thanks, lam sure these are probably the charactor of a scooby, but its nice to hear that from people in the know. cheers
Old 16 January 2006, 12:57 AM
JJstiuk
Scooby Regular

Hey there, The stuttering could be pinking or knock in the worst case, is the car an import? The druming u hear is most likly just the humming noise that comes from the diffs and this is normal, yes you can get fog lights, the gen subaru ones are about £400 i think but look the nuts and are a perfect fit and come with all wiring and switches.

Hope that helps
Old 16 January 2006, 01:10 AM
andysscooby
Scooby Newbie

hi,the car is uk,done 16000 miles, its not pinking it just doesnt feel 100 % smooth when accelerating, thanks
Old 16 January 2006, 01:40 AM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

A visit to you local specailist will sort her out...could be something or nothing.

Bob
Old 16 January 2006, 02:38 AM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Boxers are not the smoothest, maybe it's just a characteristic of the engine type? Remember, there's only four of the little bouncy things....
Old 16 January 2006, 02:50 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Peak torque is between 4-6k revs, so there's less potential from the engine when approaching the 7k redline than if you were to change up a gear at 6k-ish and continue accelerating from 4k again. It is also much more sympathetic to the engine and running gear.

As for fogs, I have them on my WRX and they are a waste of space. It is so very rarely foggy enough to legally justify their use (visibility below 100m) and when it is they're not much kop. They are also a sitting duck for stones, with a hefty bill should a replacement be needed. A better choice would be driving lights, such as THESE. I just wish I could justify the exhorbitant price I have seen some cheapo's for £50 at a local motor factors, but getting them mounted to fit well would be a PIA so I never bothered.

HTH
Old 16 January 2006, 10:09 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Does it sound similar to this ???

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=483253

Dean