Notices

Apexi power fc

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2006, 02:17 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi power fc

Hi can anyone tell me if it is possible to install and use a power fc without having it mapped.
I am only wondering as my new engine is going into the car in a couple of weeks and needs to be run in and so theres no point getting it mapped until i've given it all a chance to bed in. I want to have it mapped once its all run in and so its all ready to be opened up a bit!
The mods to do with the engine are:
forged pistons, rods and new crank
triple layer steel cometic head gaskets,
front mount intercooler.
td-05 turbo
550cc injectors (although i haven't put them in yet.. should they be put in while running in or after??)
apexi power fc (not fitted yet)
Boost gauge
Manual boost controller (not needed with the power fc)

There may be other mods but can't think of them at the moment.. as the cars back in Bath without the engine and im in Plymouth!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have spoke to Andy Forrest who gave me some good advice before and hope to have him mapping the car once its all properly run in..

cheers,
Old 12 January 2006, 02:31 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

it is possible as it will have a map on there already. However DO NOT DO IT, the standard maps are supposed to be quite aggressive japanese maps and are set to use 100 ron fuel. Just run it in gently on the standrd ecu.
Old 12 January 2006, 02:34 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to add, I would also hold back on fitting the injectors until it has been run in and is ready to be mapped
Old 12 January 2006, 02:35 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

cheers for that mate... i also have a fuel cut defencer on there.. not really gonna come into play while running in though..
Im still a bit worried though as my car melted its last engine from running too lean.. im going to have the boost turned right down.. pretty much off for running in so i guess that there won't be much chance of that happening again while running in... Obviously im going to be taking it really steady and not opening it up at all. Should i fit the injectors before i run it in or save this for when it gets mapped too??
Sorry didn't see the follow up post before writing the above!
Old 12 January 2006, 03:17 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

also thinking about it, I would leave the manual boost controller on, and turn your boost levels down so you dont get tempted to plant the right foot firmly down into the carpet.
Old 12 January 2006, 05:38 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alternatively you could have it mapped for running in.. lower rpm limit, low boost and fueling correct and safe ignition.. run it in and then the fun map done.

Simon
Old 12 January 2006, 08:15 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
also thinking about it, I would leave the manual boost controller on, and turn your boost levels down so you dont get tempted to plant the right foot firmly down into the carpet.
Yeah i think im definatly going to do this.. turn the boost right down.. give the car a good chance to run in (1000 miles enough??) and then turn it up to around standard for a couple of weeks or another few hundred miles before getting it mapped..

I like the idea of gettin it mapped twice put can't really justify spending the money twice.. im pretty much broke after fixing the engine to be honest!!

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2006, 08:53 PM
Dannno
Scooby Regular

Don`t touch the boost until its mapped ,you can leave the arm off of the actuator for the first 500 miles or so = 0 boost. Its not just running lean thats a concern while running in, if it is too rich you can wash and wreck your bores and you wont know if it is rich /lean until the mapper sticks in the wideband.I know it seems expensive to do things twice but it sounds like you have spent a lot on you new engine and it would be a shame to wreck it.
Originally Posted by rossi_classicwrx
Yeah i think im definatly going to do this.. turn the boost right down.. give the car a good chance to run in (1000 miles enough??) and then turn it up to around standard for a couple of weeks or another few hundred miles before getting it mapped..

I like the idea of gettin it mapped twice put can't really justify spending the money twice.. im pretty much broke after fixing the engine to be honest!!
Old 13 January 2006, 03:31 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

to be honest, if you are going to run it 'as is' with boost before you get it mapped, you are just as likely to end up with another broken engine. The map , even off boost is far too advanced for uk fuel.

Get it mapped !

or

Stick with the stnd injectors, take the arm off the turbo, and run the OEM ECU for running in, then swap it all over for 'the' map.

Steve

Last edited by ScoobyDuck; 13 January 2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 13 January 2006, 04:12 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

if you use your original ecu it will self correct to some degree.the pfc wont. leave the actuator arm off if you dont want boost and dont fit the bigger injectors or pfc until mapping time?
Old 13 January 2006, 04:18 PM
rossi_classicwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDuck
to be honest, if you are going to run it 'as is' with boost before you get it mapped, you are just as likely to end up with another broken engine. The map , even off boost is far too advanced for uk fuel.

Get it mapped !

or

Stick with the stnd injectors, take the arm off the turbo, and run the OEM ECU for running in, then swap it all over for 'the' map.

Steve
Yeah sorry thats what i ment in the second post.. i forgot to mention leaving the fc off as well as the boost completly turned down..
I'm going to run the standard ecu and have the arm off the turbo for the first 500, then put it back on (the arm on the actuator to turbo) and run real low boost for another 500 while obviously taking it real easy on the car.. Then after that take it over to be mapped or do you think this would still be too soon??