Notices

emissions light?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2006, 07:08 PM
Morgan WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emissions light?

hi lads, maybe u can help. my emissions light has come on full time on my dash recently. it usually came on b4 when i had f all in the tank. i have a bugeye wrx 01, straight through magnex exhaust with uppipe and down pipe. no engine mods beside's k&n filter. should i get worried and please explain in crayons cause i'm not mechanically minded

Morgan
Old 11 January 2006, 07:27 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have decat uppipe and downpipe you are hitting exhaust temp sensor with much higher temps than normal. Without a remap to take this into account, check engine light usually comes on. Even with remap the tip of the sensor can be burned off by the high temps and cause CEL to come on. You can cure the problem by fitting a resistor under the hood at the cost of around 12 pence....I think from memory I used a 12k 2watt. This tells ecu that all is sweet.
Old 14 January 2006, 01:15 AM
Morgan WRX
Scooby Regular

thanks mgvck, where abouts under the hood do this go as i said not mechanically minded. also it has gone off tonight, had to run the tank to nearly empty and when i put petrol back and left the station the light was off any idea's
Old 18 January 2006, 01:55 AM
bbigman2000
Scooby Regular

would also like to know where the resistor gets fitted please
Old 18 January 2006, 02:40 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Yep, sorry I thought someone else might chip in with some pics. Its probably easier if I take a pic tomorrow and post it. Basically if you open bonnet on the left hand side, left of the turbo, there are three connectors which link various sensors to the loom( can you tell I'm not technically minded either!) The one you need is the bottom one, which is the only one with two wires coming out of it.

You may need to ping it off its sprocket with a screwdriver to then be able to unplug the two halves. This will leave one side of the plug with two pins and the other with two tiny holes. You bend your resistor into a U shape and stick each end into a hole thus completing the exhaust temp happiness circuitry.
Then just tape the two ends up as required and close the bonnet trying not to trap your fingers.

As I say I'll take a pic to point you in the right direction. I would only recommend this if you are sure its due to recent decatting. If you are worried about anything else then probably best going down the stealers for an error code check. The CEL should go off within 24 hours of fitting resistor.
Old 18 January 2006, 08:59 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

OK here we go. First you need to go to Maplins or similar electrical store and purchase a 12k 2watt resistor. Only a small thing like a bit of wire with a blue tic tac in the middle. Should just be a few pence. Then under the hood this is the area to look at on the left hand side:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/mgcvk/fix790.jpg

You will see there are three connectors and you need the bottom one:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/mgcvk/fix800.jpg

Following the instructions in previous post you need to separate the two halves. There is a little lever on the side of the plug I think you need to use to separate them. In the next pic you can see the taped up half with the two wires coming out of it.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/mgcvk/fix840.jpg

Your resistor needs to go into the other bit. Tape that up too, re-attach to the sprocket and thats it. You may want to make sure the half which is now loose is secured to other cables and not flapping about.

So Bob's your monkey and thats all there is to it. Basically resistor gives exhaust sensor a constant reading that all is well and your car won't go into safe mode. Happy motoring!
Old 19 January 2006, 08:37 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

BTTT for Morgan WRX and bbigman2000