Notices

WRX diff/gearbox question (nobody is helping in gearbox section)

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2006, 10:41 AM
boxer309
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX diff/gearbox question (nobody is helping in gearbox section)

Hi dont laugh but i aint gotta clue about scoobs so this may seem like a really stupid question but here goes, after hunting around my local scrapyard for a project idea i found three scoobs a wrx a legacy and a normal impreza, if i was to use the gearbox/rear diff out of one which is best? does the wrx have lsd`s?? the guy only wants £250 for gearbox/diff regardless of which one, is this a good price? and finally i intend to use it as rear drive only, any one need a front diff?? None have engines have to find that elsewhere. Help greatly apreciated. Yes i know it should be in the gearbox section but nobody is giving me any advice there.
Old 06 January 2006, 02:22 PM
boxer309
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does nobody on this forum no whether or not a wrx has LSD diffs??
Old 06 January 2006, 04:39 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess that none of them have any special diffs.
In Drive train or Projects there are 2 threads on turning an Impreza box to RWD with the parts you need.

I would buy the youngest box you can as the boxes were developed as time progressed.
The WRX was not a 'special' Impreza in the Impreza line-up. RA's STi's yes, and consequently the trans were 'special' too, ie LSD/Close ratio gears etc.

The Impreza's use hydraulic clutch mechanisms and (I think) Legacy's used cable.

If building a special rather than a special Impreza, the cable clutch could be the most difficult to adapt?

Hope this helps you make up your mind.

£250 for a box is ok, but a bargain if you can get the rear diff too. Not too important if going RWD, but you just might stick to 4x4....

Graham.