Notices

Help me find the bugger!!....With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2005, 04:18 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me find the bugger!!....With Pics

Hi guys, as I posted before, I have a little rattle/knock sound at the front of the engine.

Original post

Now, having really tried to locate the problem, I think I have it narrowed down, but I need some help to...

A - Identify if the rattle could be coming from where I think

B - Identify what may be causing it, a bearing or whatever

Here are a few pictures, I have circled the area I think the rattle is coming from. From what I can tell it sounds a bit like a damaged bearing would sound when it is turning. And I think it may be something to do with the wheel that the upper belt turns on. (Technical description it aint, but I know **** all about engines )

I would be very grateful for some help in identifying the problem.....

Here are the pics....

Old 15 December 2005, 04:46 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

From the first picture , I would put my money on the AirCon Pump clutch assembly. If you turn the Aircon on , does the noise get less ????
If so squirt some aerosol white grease in the outer orbital ring/pulley, with the aircon off. It will be obvious what i mean if you watch with engine running & aircon off Etc. Noise should lesson for a while with the grease squirted in .

Dean

Originally Posted by D16GER
Hi guys, as I posted before, I have a little rattle/knock sound at the front of the engine.

Original post

Now, having really tried to locate the problem, I think I have it narrowed down, but I need some help to...

A - Identify if the rattle could be coming from where I think

B - Identify what may be causing it, a bearing or whatever

Here are a few pictures, I have circled the area I think the rattle is coming from. From what I can tell it sounds a bit like a damaged bearing would sound when it is turning. And I think it may be something to do with the wheel that the upper belt turns on. (Technical description it aint, but I know **** all about engines )

I would be very grateful for some help in identifying the problem.....

Here are the pics....

Old 15 December 2005, 07:35 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although it's not the simplest thing to do, i'd remove the aircon belt and see if the noise stops.......
Old 15 December 2005, 09:02 PM
David MY99
Scooby Regular

just cut the belt, a new one cost about 15 pound
Old 15 December 2005, 09:23 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. The noise is no different with aircon on unfortunately.

I may see about getting the belt removed to see if it helps.

I am still fairly sure that is where the noise is although I would swear it sounds 'bearing like'.
Old 15 December 2005, 10:20 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's the same with the air con on or off, then it may not be that thats making the noise, with the air con off, the pully still goes around, but the actual air con unit doesn't, the pulley is two bits with some sort of magnetic switch which connects them, with the air con on, the pulley becomes one lump and therefore the aircon unit goes round, therefore two different sets of bearings are at work with it on or off, so, with that in mind, maybe the alternator needs looking at..??..... try switching things like the lights on and see if it chages the noise, in order to remove the air con belt, first you need to remove the alternator belt, might be worth running the engine with the one belt off first, just to see if the noise is still there..... if it's not, problem sorted, if it is, remove the second belt and try again..... there's a small chance it could be the idler bearing that the belt is tensioned up on aswell...??
Old 15 December 2005, 10:58 PM
D16GER
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice Ron, I will look into it tomorrow and update when I can find out some more.
Old 15 December 2005, 11:19 PM
David MY99
Scooby Regular

i think it's the belt tensioner of the airco. So if your sure it's comming from that area remove the beltand see if that solve's it.

Other thing you can try is to spray the area with some wd40 and see what happens