Notices

Cause for coolant level to drop?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2005, 04:06 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cause for coolant level to drop?

I've noticed that my coolant level is dropping (from full to low in around 2 weeks) - however the previous owner had a compression test on the radiator and it was fine and there's no leaks under the car.

Any ideas?

Richard.
Old 07 December 2005, 06:53 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Had the same and I'm afraid it does not sound like good news
I had no leaks with mine either
Coolant effectively boils away and out of the expansion area (gases from the engine going through the cylinder head) - you dont even notice it - until you start filling up. My car produced 400bhp even with cracked cylinder heads - but it was down on power - was not boosting to the maximum

The most likely cause is cracked cylinder heads and an engine rebuild (This can happen around the spark plug area - I've changed the cylinder heads twice on my 99 Sti

Sorry this may be wrong - but that is usually the symptoms of what you describe and was with mine and many others

Dont understand -''compression test on radiator' that would to me be irrelevant. I had mine checked over by a garage - took about 10 minutes to diagnose as 'a major problem' - take coolant cap off and attach a device to that - not to the radiator

Hope you've not been duped but these are classic symptoms, especially if theres no obvious pipe leaks
Old 07 December 2005, 07:00 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I've got a similar thing with mine... coolant disappearing for no obvious reason - plan to check it out this weekend... as far as I can

Just had to change rocker cover gasket last weekend as well - she ran fine all summer, but when the daylight goes and its freezin cold she needs fixed...
Old 07 December 2005, 07:48 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
Had the same and I'm afraid it does not sound like good news
I had no leaks with mine either
Coolant effectively boils away and out of the expansion area (gases from the engine going through the cylinder head) - you dont even notice it - until you start filling up. My car produced 400bhp even with cracked cylinder heads - but it was down on power - was not boosting to the maximum

The most likely cause is cracked cylinder heads and an engine rebuild (This can happen around the spark plug area - I've changed the cylinder heads twice on my 99 Sti

Sorry this may be wrong - but that is usually the symptoms of what you describe and was with mine and many others

Dont understand -''compression test on radiator' that would to me be irrelevant. I had mine checked over by a garage - took about 10 minutes to diagnose as 'a major problem' - take coolant cap off and attach a device to that - not to the radiator

Hope you've not been duped but these are classic symptoms, especially if theres no obvious pipe leaks
Ouch

Had the car recently services by AWD in Perth and they gave it a clean bill of health so hopefully it's nothing too serious. I'll get it back into them for a check up though.

Richard.
Old 07 December 2005, 08:00 PM
scoobymark66
Scooby Regular

Hi. Same problem on mine but have found it to be leaking from the side of the header tank. It will only do it after a good thrash when the engine is nice and hot. Worth a look before you look at spending loads of cash.

Cheers. Mark.
Old 07 December 2005, 08:35 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Also there was another post on here recently where the water cooling pipe which goes into the turbo had a slight crack that was not dripping out any water when cold, but as soon as it heated up the gap expanded and the water came out there. Still didnt leave a trace as it more or less evaporated on the spot due to the temps. Caused the owner a lot of head scratching and some very good professionals a while to find out what it was.
Check in your oil as if it is your head gasket you could very much have some gunk in there, and also check your header tank nr the battery for any tell tale signs.
Old 07 December 2005, 09:18 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 07 December 2005, 11:52 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Ask them to check if gases are mixing with the coolant.
Many garages (and AA/Rac) have the equipment. Simple tube with a mixture in it goes onto where you fill the coolant - run the engine and if the mixture goes a certain colour you have problems

Should take them 10 minutes and is a very quick (and hence cheap test)

I hope for you that everythings fine

I'd be surprised if it was something leaking out of the nozzle to the Turbo - you would probably be able to smell the stuff it had gone on the Turbo