engine spec help

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2005, 08:15 PM
scoob east
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine spec help

hi there

i wonder if any of you guys and girls could help, i own a turbo 2000 on a w plate, im now getting round to tuning it with an apexi pfc, full decat, manifolds and FMIC, Now as far as ive read these engines are pretty prone to spining bearings etc etc.

now what i was thinking was, i could start building a new engine on a budget now before my uk turbo goes bang. now im not the most clued up person on here so i have a few questions;

1. am i right in thinking it would be best to get my hands on a earlier classic block because its a closed deck setup, and would everything on my current w reg fit on this?.

2. also would this engine use all the engine mounts and my year 2000 gear box fit.

3. also i take it i would be better off to upgrade to sti pistons,

Any other ideas you lads have would be execellent, all im after is a reliable 300 bhp + engine,

thanks
dale
Old 18 November 2005, 08:41 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Mate,

I too have a turbo 2000 UK scoob.

Firstly i would say that if all you are going for is say 300 bhp plus then you dont need to worry too much about internals. Standard internals have been known to be good for 400bhp reliably too.
My advice is as follows:

GT spec headers and up pipe
Decat down pipe
Decat Centre section and a nice back box TSL's firestorm is excellent.
Walbro fuel pump
SX fuel pressure regulator.
550cc injectors
Apexi Power FC mapped by Andy F
A VF34 turbo
and an APS cold air feed
FMIC varied choice stay away from the cheap ****e though I'd suggest the APS one.

I would also suggest getting the roger clark modified oil pump fitted at your cambelt service. This wouldnt guarantee that your bearings wont fail but it will certainly reduce the risk.

I would suggest that this would be as far as you want to take the car with standard internals and standard UK gear box.

I am speaking from experience here lol

Mine is currently circa 400 bhp with 382 ft/lbs However my internals have been done and after my third gearbox breakage i am now on the six speed sti 8 gear box. BUt i am running a bigger turbo.

The spec I have mentioned should give you a very reliable 350bhp if done properly.

http://freespace.virgin.net/darren.davies/scooby.jpg

Hope that helps

Darren

Last edited by dazdavies; 18 November 2005 at 08:43 PM.