Notices

Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2005, 10:47 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Loss

I've got a problem with my '99 Impreza, when I try to accelerate the car looses all power as if the battery was running flat. I know my battery was knackered anyway so I checked the alternator and swapped the battery. Now it turns over fast like it should and does start eventually but the problem is still there. It doesnt loose the spark completly but seriously lacks power and as if the plugs arnt getting enough power or the ignition is too retarded. I've just recently chaged the MAF which sorted out a previous problem and there is no check engine light on. Its been hard to start recently as well and it is over due its 45000 mile service so could it be the spark plugs need changing?? I dont know much about these cars so Im not sure if im going in the right direction with the fault finding. The getting it to start problem has been there for about 3 weeks but the power loss has come all of a sudden, it was fine when I went to the petrol station, but on the way back it was not.
Old 25 October 2005, 06:29 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
the power loss has come all of a sudden, it was fine when I went to the petrol station, but on the way back it was not.
First thing i would ask is what type of fuel did you put in it?
Old 25 October 2005, 04:03 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
First thing i would ask is what type of fuel did you put in it?
I knew someone would ask that, Optimax, definatly not deisel by mistake.
Old 25 October 2005, 04:17 PM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Car wont start at all now, took lead off of a plug and there is a good spark from the end of it, but havent managed to take the plugs out yet as its started to rain. Would there be a spark there if the crank sensor was faulty??
Old 25 October 2005, 06:53 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
I knew someone would ask that, Optimax, definatly not deisel by mistake.
LOL. If you have a good spark its unlikley to be the crank or cam sensor,but id check your plugs are actually firing or fit a new set to be safe.If it still doesnt go then I'd be looking at the fuel side of things, fuel pump it it priming?do you have fuel at the fuel filter when the pumps priming?If you have a noid light stick it on the injector harness to look for injector pulsing.

Last edited by Turbotits; 25 October 2005 at 06:55 PM.
Old 26 October 2005, 07:14 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
LOL. If you have a good spark its unlikley to be the crank or cam sensor,but id check your plugs are actually firing or fit a new set to be safe.If it still doesnt go then I'd be looking at the fuel side of things, fuel pump it it priming?do you have fuel at the fuel filter when the pumps priming?If you have a noid light stick it on the injector harness to look for injector pulsing.
Turns out it was the pump, had a Walboro been sat doing nothing for a couple of weeks so fitted that and it fires up straight away now and drives normal. Was raining last night when I did it so was sat in back of car with the doors shut, felt abit sick and dizzy after LOL.