Notices

STI Intercooler splitter question!

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2005, 10:04 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Intercooler splitter question!

Ive recently fitted a STI intercooler to my 04 WRX, and was wondering If I should fit the Sti splitter thingy that goes under the scoop and sits above the intercooler, to my smaller WRX scoop,

Also I dont want to fit the STi Scoop, as I like the little WRX one, but do want to know how I could get more cold air to the intercooler.
Old 17 October 2005, 10:24 PM
Garion
Scooby Regular

yes fit the splitter, the standard wrx splitter is smaller so you wont be cooling the whole top of the intercooler core.

one thing you can do is to extend the splitter's plates to catch more air. on my car the bit of the splitter that you can see in the scoop left a gap at the top of the scoop so some air would pass right over the splitter.

i got some ally, cut it to size and riveted it to the top vane of the splitter. now almost all of the air entering the scoop goes straight down the splitter into the intercooler. there is a small gap on the left of the scoop which feeds the vent over the turbo though, left that alone..
Old 18 October 2005, 07:33 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can adapt the STi splitter to fit under the WRX scoop:

Three vertical sections have to be removed and replace with shallower sections. These are the two side panels and a smaller centre one in silver on the piccie.

The original panels can be prised off carefully by getting a small bladed screwdriver under the tack welds.
Getting the new panels to size is the hardest - I should have the templates somewhere if needed?
The side panels were then araldited on and had silver self adhesive flashing applied on joints.

NIck
Old 18 October 2005, 03:35 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

As above basically.

The STI splitter is very lightweight ally as easily cut and reshaped. I did this and the result was, IMHO, of OEM quality.

If you have access to some tin snips and a rivet gun it'll take about an hour to do.

Here's a quick guide;

Prise off the top bit that goes into the scoop (as mentioned a small screwdriver under the spot welds easily releases this)

Taking this bit release the spot welds that hold the extra cross member and remove it.(You don't need the extra cross member as the scoop height is lower and could impede air flow.)

Now it's simply a question of re-shaping the sides of the removed upper bit to fit snugly into your scoop (so it forms a nice seal against scoop) this is a bit of trial and error, however don't cut of any excess until your sure. Also you will need an extra 1-2cm to bend back. This is the bit that will be riveted to the base plate.

Sounds complicated and long winded but it's easier than it sounds, believe me. Only wish I'd have taken some pics at the time..!

Having said all this, to get the best out of the STI TMIC you do need the matching scoop and if you've hacked the spiltter a new sti splitter..!

I'm currently looking for an STI 8 scoop (pref. WRB), if I find one maybe we could do a swap for my modified spiltter and your STI 'untouched' one..?

jason