Notices

Snorkelectomy

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2005, 04:28 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkelectomy

I have just performed a snorkelectomy on our '02 WRX.

It took me just over an hour (which shows how easy it is considering im 14 and was doing it my own).

You can now hear the turbo spooling up and the standard DV alot better, but it hasnt been driven yet so im not sure what effect it had on the performance. Next step is the duct tape around the airbox opening to stop all the hot engine air getting in

Adam
Old 01 October 2005, 05:04 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

A question, will a rise in inlet temperatures damage the engine or just decrease performance?

Adam
Old 02 October 2005, 01:34 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

Question ok ,my view

i would of thought that hotter air going in would decrease performanace because the air is less dense [ie less oxygen to burn].
i think the hot air wont damage the engine in its own right but may cause detonation WHICH WILL CAUSE DAMAGE IF SEVERE.
detonation would be caused by the hotter air igniting the fuel before its supposed to [by the spark plug]
Old 02 October 2005, 04:21 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yhe chod
i would of thought that hotter air going in would decrease performanace because the air is less dense [ie less oxygen to burn].
i think the hot air wont damage the engine in its own right but may cause detonation WHICH WILL CAUSE DAMAGE IF SEVERE.
detonation would be caused by the hotter air igniting the fuel before its supposed to [by the spark plug]
Its completely standard atm which means very low boost so should have any det. Will be having a decat and remap soon anyway.

Adam
Old 02 October 2005, 07:49 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

The test drive has been done.

There was no gain or loss of performance, but quite a big difference in noise. You can now hear the turbo spooling up alot better and the pshh of the standard dump valve.

Adam