HKS front mount Vs Hybrid Vs Hybrid Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2005, 02:50 PM
P1 RAJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HKS front mount Vs Hybrid Vs Hybrid Ebay

Hi Peeps,

I'm looking into getting a front mount but there are so many on the market at different prices its hard choosing which one to go for!

Is the hks worth the extra money? Do I get better performance for my money or am I just paying for the brand?

Also how do the 3 compare. What sort of bhp can they take? Will be interesting to see what rolling road figures people get with the different front mounts.

I'm assuming the car will be more laggy with a front mount, but will there be a difference in the lag between the front mounts?

Current car spec is:
td05/20g
uprated fuel pump + regulator
Group S headers
De-cat
3" exhaust system
Induction kit
Link ECU
Spark plugs

Think thats it..

Thanks

Raj
Old 23 September 2005, 05:57 PM
my 93
Scooby Regular

Anybody???

I'd also be interested in peoples views, as i'm also looking for a decent front mount soon.

Iain
Old 23 September 2005, 08:08 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi Guy's

Steer well away from the auction site its bad stuff in my opinion, bin there, and wasted money on crap.
HKS - top bit of kit but do you want to spend that much?????

My advice which is what i did, get one from Harvey Smith, he can even arrange installation for you at his place.
Its a Hybrid fmic with ally pipework and proper pipe connections and samco type pieces to join the pipes.

Its a great bit of kit and harvey will help you out or answer anyprobs you may have. Its not a very easy job but if you got abit of savvy you will fit it fine.

tim
Old 23 September 2005, 08:57 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Ditto the above, mine's been on almost 2 years now and has never had a problem. Excellent quality at a very good price from Harvey. Plus you get tech support if necessary, which is always handy to know
Old 23 September 2005, 10:05 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

I've had mine two years and the chrome plating coming off the alloy pipes but for the money Harvey gets my vote.

Mark A
Old 23 September 2005, 10:13 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

What is the difference between the Hybrid and the Hybrid off E-bay, their from the same company arn't they?

simb
Old 23 September 2005, 10:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i have your spec and an HKS fmic, the bore on the hks pipes are much bigger than the hybrid, lag is going to increase for you if you are going from a TMIC but when the turbo comes in it pulls much harder , if you dont have a 6 speed gearbox get ready to fit one i think my turbo comes on full boost at about 3800rpm but it pulls much harder than when i had the tmic and i have less fuel advance as well
Old 23 September 2005, 10:28 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simb 2
What is the difference between the Hybrid and the Hybrid off E-bay, their from the same company arn't they?

simb
Yes, should be no difference at all. There a few copies of the hybrid on ebay now... but they probably all come from the same manufacturer anyway so shoudl be of the same *quality*.

Compared to the fit of a HKS they aren't in the same league, in terms of performance they are proabbly similar. I prefer the HKS too because despite having the same core height it doesn't stick out of the bottom of the bumper like the Hybrid... and with my car running quite low on coilovers i'd end up ripping the bottom off it on a curb!!!

Tony.
Old 23 September 2005, 10:31 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
i have your spec and an HKS fmic, the bore on the hks pipes are much bigger than the hybrid,
Only for about 2 ft the pipework is 70mm OD, the rest of the pipe work is 60mm OD as per hybrid.

Tony.
Old 23 September 2005, 10:56 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Even the Hybrid isn't a great fit, and some of the other kits that I have had to fit have been an absolute nightmare. If you don't mind spending a lot of time (budget 8 hours if you haven't done it before) and can buy a few extra bits of samco hose, then these kits can be very cheap. If you have to resort to getting it fitted professionally, then it can become more expensive, especially if it's a V1-2 car as they take longer with these kits being based on v3 and newer cars.

The HKS kit on the other hand fits just as intended, although the bumper needs to be kit, the kits are specific to each model of impreza, rather than being "universal". If you have to fit it yourself, it will save you a lot of grief.

Harvey's price for the kit including fitting is very attractive.

Paul
Old 23 September 2005, 11:13 PM
P1 RAJ
Scooby Regular

what kind of gains will I see? How much will the lag increase?
Old 24 September 2005, 12:03 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by P1 RAJ
what kind of gains will I see? How much will the lag increase?
i dont know on power gains but for 500rpm of lag and 0.1bar of boost less my car hammers thru the gears,my brakes feel unsafe and it pulls much harder i did all mine to get ready for a big engine and turbo upgrade but i feel the HKS is the better intercooler from your choice
Old 24 September 2005, 09:39 AM
my 93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by timmyajmy93wrx
My advice, get one from Harvey Smith, he can even arrange installation for you at his place.
Anyone have contact details for Harvey Smith please.
Old 24 September 2005, 10:21 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

simb

lookup 'anewdigital' on ebay. I think you may find they are the same kits as the mentioned UK supplied.

closer you get to the source, the cheaper the product, without loss in product quality.

All IMO.

Bob
Old 24 September 2005, 02:25 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Originally Posted by my 93
Anyone have contact details for Harvey Smith please.
He is on here on a regular basis so I would just send him a PM.

simb
Old 24 September 2005, 06:32 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Here ya go:

harveysmith1@btopenworld.com
Old 24 September 2005, 10:11 PM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

glad people agree with me, harvey's your man, great fmic and harveys a great help and can answer any questions about it.

if you want to see my car with the fmic look here, at the bottom of the page in the gallery.

http://www.turbometrics.com/gallery.php

the lip is now actually red to match! and the skirts, door handles etc to follw!

tim
Old 24 September 2005, 11:10 PM
P1 RAJ
Scooby Regular

Is there any difference in performance gains between the hks and harveys front mount?

Are the cores design similar?
Old 24 September 2005, 11:31 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Here's the Hybrid fitting thread:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=Hybrid
Old 25 September 2005, 10:15 AM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P1 RAJ
Is there any difference in performance gains between the hks and harveys front mount?

Are the cores design similar?

Raj, unless your going to be changing turbos for something bigger in the near future then the Hybrid will cope with anything the 20g can flow.

The tube and fin (HKS) type is probably freer(sp) flowing and may reduce inlet temps by a fraction more over the bar and plate (Hybrid) and the HKS may be slightly easier to fit? the bumper still needs to be cut, but is it worth the extra cost to you.

Any how I'm glad your getting rid of the tmic and making the most of the 20g, how's the car going?.
Old 25 September 2005, 10:44 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

23 September 2005, 22:28
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

simb

Yes, should be no difference at all. There a few copies of the hybrid on ebay now... but they probably all come from the same manufacturer anyway so shoudl be of the same *quality*.

Compared to the fit of a HKS they aren't in the same league, in terms of performance they are proabbly similar. I prefer the HKS too because despite having the same core height it doesn't stick out of the bottom of the bumper like the Hybrid... and with my car running quite low on coilovers i'd end up ripping the bottom off it on a curb!!!

Tony.
If the core is below the level of the O/E bumper then you have fitted it wrongly.
Incidentally, for the core to protrude, you would need to cut the bumper top AND bottom. Something not right with what you say.

The difference between the kits is that those supplied by me are complete, including fitting instructions, having been packed here by me, the latest design core and no quality issues. Copy kits can have many issues including mild steel polished hard pipes, poor bends and pipework leading to difficult fitting problems and leaking welds resulting in a high pitch whistle on boost not to mention missing bits.

The performance of my kit is on a par or better than that of my APS. I can state this with certainty as ambient and throttle body temperatures are monitored in each vehicle. Fitting the APS was easier and a little quicker as it was specifically for M/Y99-00 and pipework was silicon, not hard. Pros and cons.

The charge for same day fitting, here in Darligton, M/Y 93-00 is £180. We have fitted quite a few and all installations are very neat and tidy.

An FMIC will not add performance per se. The cooler charge air from an efficient FMIC allows the engine to make more power. Importantly, the cold air from the FMIC adds safety and allows the engine potential to be explored closer to the limit.
Typically, I can cruise at no more than 2 deg C over ambient. Even on track it is rare to see more than 12 deg C over ambient. Top mounts can typically show up to 50 deg.
You may have noticed that before Andy F. would attempt high speed runs, he changed to a FMIC.

Finally, thanks for all the support above.

Last edited by harvey; 25 September 2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 25 September 2005, 10:55 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
If the core is below the level of the O/E bumper then you have fitted it wrongly.
Incidentally, for the core to protrude, you would need to cut the bumper top AND bottom. Something not right with what you say.
LOL.. maybe my eyes are wonky then but Andrew Cs, Jim Littens etc all have the lowest row of the core all poking out of the bottom of the bumper, the welded on lugs even more so.

As per:

and

Now if they don't stick out of the bottom of the bumber i'm a china man.

Tony.
Old 25 September 2005, 10:57 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

And pics stolen from the Hybrid fitting thread from Andrews car and Delboys (i think).

Tony.
Old 25 September 2005, 11:01 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

The HKS achieve the core being higher by the fact you have to cut the front bumper hanger as it sits higher, the Hybrid types have welded on lugs which you just drill the bumper hanger for and hang it on. Plus it doesn't have the big lugs on the bottom of the core either, nice flat brackets.

Not having a go at the kit, just stating why i didn't go that way. I would have damaged the core by now on curbs, speed humps etc. Maybe i should rasie the car a little

Tony.
Old 25 September 2005, 11:08 PM
minted_aye
Scooby Regular

I have though about this myself, however from what I can see they cause more lag so I am thinking about a charge cooler or even a larger top intercooler
Old 26 September 2005, 12:01 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Like I said, if the core is below the O/E bumper it has not been fitted properly.
I have checked my car here and can send pictures of the next couple that we fit to anybody that is intereted and knows how to post photos on here.
Old 26 September 2005, 12:04 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Harvey...send them to me i can host them.

I'd be interested how you have hung them from the bumper bar... Probably Jim, andrew etc will be interested too as they haev had close calls with it hanging low. Hybrids instructiosn also show it from under the bumper, this is with a version 6 splitter too.

Tony.
Old 26 September 2005, 12:17 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Mine sits almost flush with the bottom of the bumper/splitter. I remember having to cut the vertical bumper bracket right out to allow the core to be bolted up close to the top horizontal bar.

The FMIC fitting was the easy bit, the bumper was a pain.

Gerry
Old 26 September 2005, 12:28 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

LOL... think there is where people have gone wrong then. Not cutting the bumper bar.

Hopefully Harvey's pics will explain better, but i think a few who did it themselves aren't fitted correctly.

Tony.
Old 26 September 2005, 11:13 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Tony : Give me a couple of days to send the photos. My own is no problem but I want to get a couple of other model years.

Quick Reply: HKS front mount Vs Hybrid Vs Hybrid Ebay