Notices

Gearbox/Diff question?????

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2005, 08:00 PM
dave8250_6
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox/Diff question?????

Hi all. Hopefully someone on here can help me out(without laughing) I have a 97 WRX. Recently it has developed a whine sound. It is steadily getting worse and appears to be coming from the gearbox area. The best way to describe it is its just like the sound a touring car makes when you see the onboard camera shots. (hope that makes sense). My question is, I am sure that I read on here that the gearbox and Diff are all as one, and oil wise, they share the same oil. Thought it sounded odd when I read it, but does anyone know if it is true? I have checked the gearbox oil dipstick and it is as clean as a whistle and at a perfect level so maybe there is a bigger problem.... Any ideas? anyone?
Old 11 September 2005, 11:14 PM
cts5555
Scooby Regular

Bump, as ive just changed a clutch and am under the impression that they are 'as one ' and use the same oil fill ( dipstick ).

Any info?
Old 12 September 2005, 08:51 AM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Morning guys.

Right the gearbox and diff are separate units.

To service the gearbox you'll see a hex drive drain plug underneath. On mine iirc its 21mm. Remove this and drain oil. Theres no seal on this its just a face to face thing so make sure its clean when you put the plug back.
Filling is via the dip stick hole you can see sitting by the turbo unit. Remove the dip stick and place a funnel with a flexable tube into hole. Fill g/b. It will take about 3.8 ltrs of oil. Replace dip stick and chk level. Replenish as required. Job done.

Diff.....Take a look under the car at the back you'll see the diff looking at you.
2 square 1/2" drive plugs. Remove the upper one first (fill plug) and then the lower one (drain plug). Once all the oil is drained replace the lower plug. Again insure the plug port is reasonably clean prior to assembly. I find using a syringe and flexable hose is just about as good as anything for replenishing the diff. 0.8lts till full. or until it flows out the top port. Replace top plug. Job done.

Silkolene Silktran SYN5 75W/90 for both gb and diff will be fine.
Gearbox.....3.8ltrs
Diff...........0.8lts

Worshop manual here for more information.

Last edited by Rokay; 12 September 2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12 September 2005, 04:08 PM
cts5555
Scooby Regular

Thanks, i meant the front diff or whatever it is bolted to the back end of the gearbox, im guessing that this uses the same oil as the gearbox?
Old 12 September 2005, 08:27 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the Gearbox, front and centre diff all use the same oil
Bit difficault for the rear diff to use it aswell unless you had a very long pipe

If the noise is getting worse I would start looking about for a new box!

I had a whine from my UK97 box on deceleration and low speed for years then It finally failed!! Turned out to be a bearing in the centre diff.

Not saying that's whats wrong with yours, but if it's getting worse it will eventually fail