Notices

MY03 Overheating damage?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2005, 12:43 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY03 Overheating damage?

Stuck in traffic on Sat for about 20 min, was a very hot day, getting towards the end of the queue and noticed a 'hot' smell like a fairly new exhaust, then noticed the temp guage had gone off the scale as traffic had cleared, put the heater on max, dropped into neutral and coasted down a hill and within a minute the temp guage had come right down, it then settled at the normal level as I kept moving.

Pulled over, checked under the bonnet and there was some evidence of water spray on the battery so i chucked a litre of water in the expansion bottle.

Left the car standing for 24hrs, then when I started it there was a sound of a lot of water running through pipes for a couple of sec, since then it has been running normally, temp guage only starts to move if it is stationery with the engine running.

So it looks like the rad fan or stat, will go in for a warranty repair, just wondered how these engines cope with overheating, is there anything else i should get checked under warranty?
Old 05 September 2005, 01:42 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

these cars are very robust especially the engine

i had a leaking main cooler pipe this winther and i drove it to the garage with overheated engine 110 - 120 degrees, i topped it up along the way

no damage what so ever and that was quite a way, ppl staring at me while smoke puffing up the bonnet wents at lights etc.
Old 05 September 2005, 11:04 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReggieMY99
these cars are very robust especially the engine

i had a leaking main cooler pipe this winther and i drove it to the garage with overheated engine 110 - 120 degrees, i topped it up along the way

no damage what so ever and that was quite a way, ppl staring at me while smoke puffing up the bonnet wents at lights etc.
Ok thanks for the reassuring info, booked it in on Thursday, fortunately got 12 months warranty left!