Steering Knocking Help

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2005, 12:41 PM
_benny_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steering Knocking Help

Hi

Tried searching on this already, but nothing is quite the same as my problem.

With the engine off, when turning the steering 1/4 turns back and forth, there is a very prominent knock. One knock on the left turn, one knock on the right turn etc...

Can't feel the knock with the engine running or with the car off the ground, or when driving. Cornering isn't as positive as it has been in the past.

With someone else doing this on the steering wheel, I got under the car to see if I could feel the source of the knocking. There is no knock on the track rod ends, the knock is worst felt in the actual steering rods (equal on either side), there is no movement in the rack.

Thanks

Ben
Old 04 September 2005, 07:09 PM
scooby dave861
Scooby Newbie

To turn the wheel with engine off and no assistance takes a lot of effort so any wear will be more obvious. If you can feel the knock in the steering rod it will probably be the tie rod ball joint(not track rod ends). Slide the gaitor off and have a look whilst getting someone to turn the wheel again. make sure the gaitor is in good condition cos once water gets in there it will dry out and cause the ball joint to wear and cause the knocking that you are feeling. It can eventually rust the rack bar and cause the seals to blow. If it appears to be the joints and water is not evident then just replace the rods with new gaitors, saves spending on a new steering rack.
Old 05 September 2005, 09:15 PM
_benny_
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dave, will check that. I'm also getting quite a lot of tramlining so something must be worn somewhere.