PINKING/DET/ OR NOT?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2005, 09:40 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PINKING/DET/ OR NOT?

HI ALL,
not long had rebuild from a.p.i, david suggested remap after running in period, but in the meanwhile just been taking it easy, done the 1000 mile run in and had the oil changed, then went on net and bought millers octane booster, without it when accelerating hear some chatty noise (is this pinking/det?) put the millers in and not there but car runs like bag of ****e!
dunno what to do! other than to give david a call for the remap?
any advice would be gratefully recieved,
regards
sean,,

btw its a 95 wrx with k&n cone filter (thinking about putting it back to standard anyone know where i can get one?) running one cat as well.
Old 02 September 2005, 09:43 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

See David at Api before anyone does anything
Is it under load/pulling when it chatters ?
Originally Posted by stann01
HI ALL,
not long had rebuild from a.p.i, david suggested remap after running in period, but in the meanwhile just been taking it easy, done the 1000 mile run in and had the oil changed, then went on net and bought millers octane booster, without it when accelerating hear some chatty noise (is this pinking/det?) put the millers in and not there but car runs like bag of ****e!
regards
sean,,
Old 02 September 2005, 09:45 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

yes it chatters when gassing it a bit.thought it maybe something like the exhaust but reading a bit on here think it could be pinking.
Old 02 September 2005, 09:47 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Without hearing it Stan its hard to say,best let Api check it out...

One thing you could look at is the heat shield on the turbo,these are known to rattle/chatter

yes it chatters when gassing it a bit.thought it maybe something like the exhaust but reading a bit on here think it could be pinking.
Old 02 September 2005, 09:50 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morpheous
Without hearing it Stan its hard to say,best let Api check it out...

One thing you could look at is the heat shield on the turbo,these are known to rattle/chatter
i removed that before the engine gave way as the bolts were corroded, so its not that, trouble is bit short on the reddies at the mo! so the remap is £550 that i have not got
why would it run badly with the millers in?
Old 02 September 2005, 09:54 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Stan its hard to be a diagnostic tech head through the internet,people clutch at ideas,sometimes more worrying than the actual problem..
Wait untill youve had it looked at by a pro and then sort out the problems..
Sorry not much use m8 but honest opinions best.
i removed that before the engine gave way as the bolts were corroded, so its not that, trouble is bit short on the reddies at the mo! so the remap is £550 that i have not got
why would it run badly with the millers in?
Old 02 September 2005, 09:59 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morpheous
Stan its hard to be a diagnostic tech head through the internet,people clutch at ideas,sometimes more worrying than the actual problem..
Wait untill youve had it looked at by a pro and then sort out the problems..
Sorry not much use m8 but honest opinions best.
thanks morpheous just not sure myself about the noise! its not like other cars i`ve had where i`ve messed with the fuel/air and made it pink!!! its a different sort of pinking on a subaru? i dunno.
Old 02 September 2005, 10:07 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you are not just hearing the boost solenoid chattering? I bet you are. This is perfectly normal. I can hear mine over the radio sometimes! Is just contoling the boost. Its a bit like a fluttery sound. As for the remap, well opinions differ but my 95 wrx (same as yours) runs lovely on optimax alone (no OB) with only one green showing on the knocklink when i give it some. I put some esso super in the other day - (hello yellows and BIG red Put the optimax in and all is ok again. You and i have the z4 ecu which is the best jap classic ecu in terms of uk fuel suitability. Get your self a knocklink and then youll have piece of mind in cased you get the odd tank of bad fuel. I guess you can get a remap if you really really want and then you could also squeeze a few more horses out. Im happy with just stinking in optimax.
Enjoy the car now its fixed and dont panic.
Oh buy the way i had a rebuild from david too!

Andy

HI ALL,
regards
sean,,

btw its a 95 wrx with k&n cone filter (thinking about putting it back to standard anyone know where i can get one?) running one cat as well.
Old 02 September 2005, 11:18 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

try an ecu reset then running on nothing but octane boost while it relearns.
Old 03 September 2005, 03:04 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sean, I think we'd like to hear your car before we all go off on a tangent. we'll give it a run around the block with det cans on and give it a listen.

I know you're not that close to us but it'd be best to be safe. Give me a ring to arrange a quick lookover before anything gets out of hand.

Running badly on octane booster is unusual so maybe something else is going up the creek.

We don't charge for the sort of thing we'll need to do to put your mind at rest
So the only cost is fuel and time.

Good luck, take care David

APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com
Old 03 September 2005, 11:01 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Sean, I think we'd like to hear your car before we all go off on a tangent. we'll give it a run around the block with det cans on and give it a listen.

I know you're not that close to us but it'd be best to be safe. Give me a ring to arrange a quick lookover before anything gets out of hand.

Running badly on octane booster is unusual so maybe something else is going up the creek.

We don't charge for the sort of thing we'll need to do to put your mind at rest
So the only cost is fuel and time.

Good luck, take care David

APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com
hi david nice to hear from you, i will ring you on monday to arrange something, cheers
sean.