Notices

Tech help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2005, 03:33 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech help needed please

Yep it always happens. Pretty much got the car up together for its week holiday at a little place I know and love in Germany and it starts making a strange noise.

The symptoms are

When driving the car, especially when warm if i turn the wheel to the right off centre it will make a squeak noise. This can be heard if just slightly turned but is more pronounced on larger tighter bends. It is not a metalic noise, more of a rubber sound ( like you have a budgie stuck in your wheel). When coming to a halt on full right hand lock the noise is louder. It is a rotational thing not constant, squeak squeak squeak.
Just been at my mates garage where we have had the car on the ramps and nothing is showing. No shiny surfaces, nothing bleeding etc.

Any ideas? only on turning right, rotational noise, not brakes they have just been replaced, made the noise before and after........

Mods I have posted this here and in technical please leave for a little while before deleting.

Gary

Oh and its getting gradualy worse....
Old 20 August 2005, 05:03 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

I've had two front wheel bearings go. Both times there was a non metallic squeaking noise to begin with. Doesn't sound like the usual wheel bearing failure at all and no perceptible movement either. Maybe if you try tightening the centre nut, if the noise goes or changes, it could possibly be that.

Have a nice trip
Old 21 August 2005, 08:36 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

steering bushes? wheelbearings tend to be louder and deeper
martin