Notices

Coolant Loss - Steamy Scoobie

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2005, 04:11 PM
jonjeffryes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Loss - Steamy Scoobie

OK, here's the story - the headgaskets have just been changed...along with the radiator, radiator cap (and all the belts) and the header tank's less than a year old.

Last Friday, on the way home and suddenly there's a faint 'pop' and boost needle races around the guage. I looked under the bonnet and couldn't see anything obvious so I limped home the final couple of miles.

Turns out one of the vacuum hoses (the small ones) has come off - one of the three that plugs into the intake manifold from the Turbo I think.

Plug it back in and all seems well. A little later and I drive a mile to my son's house but as I stop, there's steam comming out of the bonnet vent on the drivers side and also through the scoop. Only for a couple of seconds and then it's clear.

Since then, as soon as she gets warm and if I drive briskly, I get the steam treatment and i'm getting coolant on the drivers side inner wing. She's also using/loosing coolant.

The temporature always stays mid guage, the cooling fans switch in and out as they should. There's no coolant in the oil and oil level hasn't dropped. performance seems normal and there's no bubbles in the overflow....

Can't see where the coolants leaking...any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

1996 WRX classic import.
Old 07 August 2005, 04:34 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

does the drivers side headlight get wet? if so its poss your rad has split. usually the black plastic splits just on the front with a hairline fracture and jets coolant out under boost. look carefully on drivers side for any coolant traces about 2 to 3 inches down from top of rad on the bumper side.
put a retainer clip on hose that blew off to avoid serious engine damage.
Old 07 August 2005, 04:38 PM
dieard
Scooby Regular

HI,

in and around the battery area, the coolant will stay there for ages when spilt or coolant leaks (smells like buring doesnt it)

you will also notice steam coming from your vents etc,

i really wouldnt worry about it, the coolant will eventually burn off.
I had same fault. i was in the pertrol station when it first happend, and everyone seemed to clear the area............really dont know why, he he.

it did this for about 2 w eeks unitl it all burnt off.

also the coolsant gets trapped on drivers side by the head lights.

I bet you keep checking the water for oil and stuff aint ya? cos i bet you keep thinking the head gasket has gone again? I was exeactley the same.

easy way to check if head gaskets are gone (for future use) is check that the eingine pressurises ok b making sure that the pipes on the rad are nice and hard.

hope this helps.

Last edited by dieard; 07 August 2005 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07 August 2005, 04:46 PM
dieard
Scooby Regular

oh, just read your post again, your loosing coolant,?

check that the pipes are pressureising,

the lower pipe on the passenger side on the rad should be cold, and top one should be hot,

also remember that the engines on its side (im no mechanic by the way), so your head gaskets are pointing towards the wings, possible that there is a prob with one of the gaskets still?

have you tried removing the skid plate to see if it has collected any coolant?

how much are you loosing?
Old 07 August 2005, 05:02 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

jon,
once engine is up to temp. the lower pipe should NOT be cold. if it is then your t'stat is not opening. incidentally , the rad hoses will not feel hard at idle and will only pressurise at increased revs.

check rad first before worrying about gaskets.
Old 07 August 2005, 05:07 PM
Ralph Wiggum
Scooby Regular

i know you stated you just changed your rad but those were the exact symptoms of where my rad failed, coolant down that side, the odd whisp, the head tank going down.

my advice to you is get it to len and get it checked out, might even get it fitted same day
Old 07 August 2005, 05:18 PM
dieard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by buzzard
jon,
once engine is up to temp. the lower pipe should NOT be cold. if it is then your t'stat is not opening. incidentally , the rad hoses will not feel hard at idle and will only pressurise at increased revs.

check rad first before worrying about gaskets.
sorry, thats what i ment, tired, got mixed up with what i was typeing!

anyway, only trying to help!
Old 07 August 2005, 10:52 PM
jonjeffryes
Scooby Newbie

Cool Hopefully found the problem!

Hi all,

thanks for all your replies and help....I dis a little more poking about this p.m. Checked everything....rad, coolant header, bubbles in the coolant - thankfully not....so I did the only thing any self respecting scoobie owner can do.....Flat out in 1st and 2nd to really pressure the system and bingo! big leak from under the top hose.

Wahat had been a small failuere, that only leaked underway and then closed up at idle, had turned into a full blown flood. Off to Gatwick Subaru tomorrow for a new top and bottom hose as well....

Regards
Jon