Notices

Boost control & fuel mapping options for a classic STi

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2005, 05:41 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Boost control & fuel mapping options for a classic STi

I realise there is nothing like a good mapped car with an aftermarket ECU like Apexi Power FC (Ran one on another JDM car) but what are the options for a humble Classic STi

Mods: Full decat inc downpipe, Bailey dump valve & HKS induction kit (I know..)

This I have been told should provide 280-300bhp at the flywheel and indeed the turbo spools quicker & 1.1 - 1.2 bar (assuming the boost gauge is reporting acurately) is delivered.. and a nice grin

In order to level out the boost and avoid spikes I am considering fitting a Greddy boost controller, twin solenoid for a stage 1 @ 0.8 bar for shopping & stage 2 perhaps @ 1.2 bar for Sunday afternoons... (BTW possible to run what max boost with stock injectors? / 550's??)

In addition I would like to up the fuel injector duty in the very least perhaps with an Apexi SAFC II this would allow me to uprgade the injectors to 550's initially for little outlay.

Or....

Do I go down the Apexi FC route & locate a good tunner to set and forget once dialled in..

Or....

Is there a cheap and cheerfull Eprom I can swapout with the ECU (I assume it is easy to access and swapout..?) - perhaps these are available in 1.2 bar guise?? (Upped fuel ECU?)

Open to others experience on this one.. essentially we are talking about increasing the base car boost and adding fuel my main concern. An FMIC will follow as well injectors soon..

Lastly.. (no bun fights here..) who is available (Scotland) to map the car with my chosen route (Apexi SAFC & Boost control etc)

Lastly..2...

I have not considered other ECU options - open to storys on this - please describe the kit, price, who mapped it & feelings on it again no arguing.. only interested in real world experiences as opposed to hear say .. 'it's got to be good because it cost a grand!'

Thanks, sorry for going over old ground for many of you but I'm sure this may highlight options for other newbie Scooby owners.

Cheers

Scooby

Last edited by SCOOBYD00; 09 July 2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10 July 2005, 12:44 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are best saving for Apexi PFC..

Standard injectors are dependent on year, either 380s or 440s.

Andy.F is in Scotland, Pavlo @ Zen Performance is in the Midlands or myself in South all doing Apexi PFC..

Other ecu options for similar money are secondhand Link ecu..

Simon
Old 10 July 2005, 10:04 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
You are best saving for Apexi PFC..

Standard injectors are dependent on year, either 380s or 440s.

Andy.F is in Scotland, Pavlo @ Zen Performance is in the Midlands or myself in South all doing Apexi PFC..

Other ecu options for similar money are secondhand Link ecu..

Simon
Yes I've ran PFC on other cars and kind of knew I would end up with one.Yes looks best bet long term.

Andy.F will be the man then.
Old 11 July 2005, 10:09 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy days!
Old 11 July 2005, 06:15 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Happy days!
Was on his site. Looks the best option all things considered.
Old 11 July 2005, 06:48 PM
Bolton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Echo everything said. The FC is the best £750 you will ever spend, especially if Andy maps it.
Paul.
Old 11 July 2005, 09:12 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bolton
Echo everything said. The FC is the best £750 you will ever spend, especially if Andy maps it.
Paul.
Looks like it. Found this page and all makes sense. TBH looks like he will get my money.

http://www.andyforrestperformance.co.uk/

Just not 100% sure to get the other *bits before the initial map or get it mapped then add later... hmmm

Possibly injectors will I really need them on my stock V3 STi turbo or would they be needed if I upgrade... Lot of questions for Andy, he's got a great name on here so hopeing for good things

Old 11 July 2005, 10:39 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you change major parts like turbo, intercooler, injectors etc. then it will need a remap for safety and to get the best from the new parts. So if you can wait / afford it, best to fit all at once and get it all mapped in!
Old 12 July 2005, 11:20 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
If you change major parts like turbo, intercooler, injectors etc. then it will need a remap for safety and to get the best from the new parts. So if you can wait / afford it, best to fit all at once and get it all mapped in!
Yep, makes sense. Initially, uprated fuel pump & base map for UK fuel looks most likely. Cheers