Notices

How do I reset the ECU????

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2005, 07:41 PM
HKS_DUDE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I reset the ECU????

Hi, I fitted a HKS racing suction kit a week ago, which until today was working awesome, me being the overzealous fool that I am thrashed the *** of my car earlier causing it to go into limp mode (running at half boost pressure), I have a Dawes MBC on order and just wondered if there was a way to reset my ecu for normal driving until the MBC arrives?????
Old 30 June 2005, 07:46 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

taking the battery off overnight will do it, although questioning why it did what it did might be an idea, instead of using a half-assed bleed valve to avoid the problem.
Old 30 June 2005, 07:51 PM
HKS_DUDE
Scooby Newbie

I am pretty confident it did it because of the increased boost caused my the induction kit. I have never before pushed out over 1.05bar, but since fitting the HKS Racing suction kit I have been experiencing upto 1.3bar with emergency cut back to 0.5bar for a few seconds then returning to normal, but I think this time I pushed it a little to much over the treshold causing it to go into permanent emergency mode (limp mode). The MBC is going to be merely as a precaution so I don't cross this boost threshold again. Thank you very much for your information anyway.
Old 30 June 2005, 07:58 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Spikes that big won't do your engine any good matey.

Fuel cut, or 'emergency cut back' as you termed it, is there for a reason, and you need to make sure you have sufficient fuelling before increasing the boost or you *could* be running dangerously lean.
Old 30 June 2005, 08:01 PM
HKS_DUDE
Scooby Newbie

I understand that this is seriously not good news at all, thats why i've read into boost controllers, and I know although by no means is the Dawes the best its seems the most sensible to try and limit the boost, I am not interested in raising the factory limit what so ever, I just want to run about 1 bar without the risk of it overboosting!!!
Old 30 June 2005, 08:03 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

an induction kit can't possibly create 0.25bar of boost - christ if it flowed that much air don't you think they'd have em standard?

i've got the same filter on my 96 sti-ra and ive never seen much more than 1bar whatever i do...
Old 30 June 2005, 08:05 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HKS_DUDE
I understand that this is seriously not good news at all, thats why i've read into boost controllers, and I know although by no means is the Dawes the best its seems the most sensible to try and limit the boost, I am not interested in raising the factory limit what so ever, I just want to run about 1 bar without the risk of it overboosting!!!
i thought (the same principle as adjustable FPRs) the dawes can only increase boost?
Old 30 June 2005, 08:05 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

aaaahhhh, fair enough.

sorry mate, I made the incorrect assumption that you wanted to increase boost.

screw it right out and tighten it until you get to your target boost. they are all much of a muchness, the dawes has a good reputation as far as mbc's are concerned, most of the bad rep comes from people being greedy.
Old 30 June 2005, 08:06 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

forgot to add, put it inline so the ecu can still see what's going on but the dawes dumps the excess pressure.
Old 30 June 2005, 08:10 PM
HKS_DUDE
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RRH
forgot to add, put it inline so the ecu can still see what's going on but the dawes dumps the excess pressure.
Thanks very much, I have printed off instructions from the dawes website, I have also asked for pics of installation on another thread but if you could give me direction to a source that you know of I would be extremly grateful.
Old 30 June 2005, 09:25 PM
richiewong
Twatful

For an ECU reset have a look here

http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co....iag%20Page.htm
Old 30 June 2005, 10:09 PM
HKS_DUDE
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by richiewong
Thanks for the info, I have no (check engine) light illuminated on the dash, I have called a mechanic friend and he is going to carry out a full diagnostic download on it for me, by the information that has been given to me, it is in LIMP MODE, and may just need a reset, obviously it will also need something doing as a preventative measure so it doesn't do it again, hence the purchase of the Dawes MBC,