Notices

STi exhaust on WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2005, 08:59 PM
Dr Bug Eye
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STi exhaust on WRX?

Hi! I just registered as a member of Scoobynet - someone must have asked this before but is there any value in changing the standard exhaust on a 2002 bug-eye WRX for the centre catalyst and back box from a new shape (2004) STi? I have heard that it is a slight improvement in 'rumble' and general performance and it certainly looks better in my opinion...
I managed to get hold of an STi exhaust very cheap and hope it won't be a waste of time getting it fitted....

Cheers
Old 29 June 2005, 12:56 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

I don't think there is any point at all in changing the rear catalyst, as they are basically the same thing. Looks, and maybe a slightly different noise are about the only real effect of changing the backbox. You won't get anything like the performance benefit of fitting any decent aftermarket backbox and rear cat replacement pipe (most would give you much more noise than an STi system too).

You're right, it probably has been asked before. You can probably find lots of posts about it if you use the "Advanced Search" option of the "Search" facility, near the top right of the page.

Welcom to the board. You'll find a full exhaust system (including decat up-pipe and decat/sports cat downpipe), plus a remap is the way to go if you can afford it - give you perhaps 280bhp at the right rolling roads, and a nice big spread of power; totally transforms the performance.
Old 29 June 2005, 06:23 AM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Had one fitted to mine and the only real improvement was looks, only a very slight rumble, dont think it gives any more bhp.

Welcome to SN