Notices

Modding a MY05 WRX PPP - Help me spend a grand !

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2005, 11:54 AM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding a MY05 WRX PPP - Help me spend a grand !

It was only going to be a matter of time before I threw caution to the wind and start doing some non warranty friendly mods but I'm seriously considering it now....

I splashed out on PPP at the first service so ideally I'd like to keep as much of the components as poss but what else should I be looking at for max gain per buck..

At the moment I'm thinking of getting a second hand Sti prodrive sports cat for the downpipe (don't want to go full decat) and get a remap (not bothered about losing the Prodrive map) - I reckon this would cost about £750
So that would leave me £250, good choice ?
Fuel Pump / injectors / turbo are all too much at the moment and maybe a project for later...

Maybe induction ? What would you recommend ? Upgrade the intercooler to an Sti one ? or what else should I be looking at..what about upgraded or equal length headers ?

As you can see I'm open to suggestions here - grateful if you guys can give some input and a rough feel for how much increase this would give me would be superb..

btw I've already got prodrive springs and bumpstops and I'll do brakes later..

Many Thanks !

Last edited by Bartop; 10 June 2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10 June 2005, 12:20 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

What about rear 22m whiteline anti roll bar, solid drop links, and a decent 4 wheel aligment ?

Richard
Old 10 June 2005, 12:24 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I thought the STI PPP included a sports cat in the DP, and removal of the centre as well as an uprated fuel pump I'd consider speaking to TSL about their 333 package which they can build around the PPP components saving cash. Maybe consider the ARB's, links and ALK to get the best from the suspension. Power is nothing without control

An alternate approach could be to consider some professional driver training. In the past I have had tuition from rally drivers, and more recently a Class 1 poice driver, and these experiences make my car much faster than any oily bits I've ever added. Safer too
Old 10 June 2005, 12:26 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
What about rear 22m whiteline anti roll bar, solid drop links, and a decent 4 wheel aligment ?

Richard
Cheers Richard..
I had the 4 wheel alignment done at Powerstation a few weeks back when the springs were put on - I haven't seen people recommending ARB and drop links on the MY05's - is this still worthwhile ?
I must say on the whole I'm very happy with the ride/handling now - was thinking more bhp/torque tbh really
Old 10 June 2005, 12:29 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I thought the STI PPP included a sports cat in the DP, and removal of the centre as well as an uprated fuel pump I'd consider speaking to TSL about their 333 package which they can build around the PPP components saving cash. Maybe consider the ARB's, links and ALK to get the best from the suspension. Power is nothing without control

An alternate approach could be to consider some professional driver training. In the past I have had tuition from rally drivers, and more recently a Class 1 poice driver, and these experiences make my car much faster than any oily bits I've ever added. Safer too
It does - unfortunately mines a WRX though

nice idea about the training though and would be fun too...!

Last edited by Bartop; 10 June 2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10 June 2005, 01:01 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Just got the drop links F&R on my MY05 at the moment, would like the prodrive springs but it would catch the underside of the car when getting in and out of garage ! Rear ARB will be next purchase, Drop links have reduced boy roll / lurch quite a bit.

Richard
Old 10 June 2005, 01:07 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The training is great fun I was out this week with the Police driver, and saw my average speeds rise quite considerably along with much more safety, control and mechanical sympathy. Corners that I would approach at 80-90 in 4th, brake and change down and go through at around 50-60 I was suddenly approaching at 110+, staying in 4th and lifting to allow engine braking down to maybe 90 before planting it through the apex back upto 110 and beyond, in full control with no drama. Overtaking out of such bends was breathtaking as you'd adjust speed well prior to bends to allow the manoevre to happen on the exit as your speed was more than double thiers and rising rapidly Just need to practise more now without losing my license and arrange some more lessons

All speeds may be in kph and roads may have been private

As for mods on a WRX, Mike Wood has commented recently that the PPP is pretty much getting near the limit of many of the engines components. Increases in airflow may require better fuelling, hence new pump and injectors. The extra fuel and air will require an uprated turbo, which will again necessitate a bigger intercooler. Decat and remap will compound all these mods making them essential. You have to wonder if it is simply not a better proposal to aim at getting an STi rather than throw money at a WRX

To combine the 2 proposals, I recently did a long run over some moorland roads behind a mates 05 STi PPP in my 03 WRX PPP, and he couldn't get away from me. We both pulled up within seconds of each other, and several minutes ahead of many of the others with us (some of whom got lost on a straight road ). My only mods are rear ARB & links, and an air filter. The police driver commented on how he prefered mine over many of the STi's he'd driven, mainly due to the longer gearing. 3rd and 4th are so flexible through the on boost rev range, reducing the need for gear changes which unsettle the car at high speed and obviously impede progress slightly. The 6 speed box, although more involving, requires much more attention and input and thus distracts your attention and unsettles the car more frequently.
Old 10 June 2005, 01:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Basically anything your going to do to the engine will invalidate your warranty, so bin that idea and go for the brakes or some new wheels

Tony

PS this included adding things like STi intercoolers believe it or not
Old 10 June 2005, 01:29 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Cheers Tony - tbh I've resigned myself to trashing the warranty - hey, you only live once

Should have mentioned I've already got 18" OZ Prodrives on - plus a few c/f styling bits

Re the training, cheers mate - sounds cool and something I might put on my xmas pressie list

Re getting an Sti instead - I think you answered it very well below altough a MY05 with 350bhp is very tempting

You have to wonder if it is simply not a better proposal to aim at getting an STi rather than throw money at a WRX
To combine the 2 proposals, I recently did a long run over some moorland roads behind a mates 05 STi PPP in my 03 WRX PPP, and he couldn't get away from me. We both pulled up within seconds of each other, and several minutes ahead of many of the others with us. The police driver commented on how he prefered mine over many of the STi's he'd driven, mainly due to the longer gearing. 3rd and 4th are so flexible through the on boost rev range, reducing the need for gear changes which unsettle the car at high speed and obviously impede progress slightly. The 6 speed box, although more involving, requires much more attention and input and thus distracts your attention and unsettles the car more frequently.

Last edited by Bartop; 10 June 2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10 June 2005, 01:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Interesting
Old 10 June 2005, 04:00 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Bartop, Andy F's project WRX looks lilke a good alternative to PPP. I'm going along the same route at the moment (ie stage 1) with a view to trying one of his hybrid TD04 in the future.

http://andyforrestperformance.co.uk/4436.html

Out of interest the solid rear DL do make a difference to the 05 WRX..
Old 11 June 2005, 03:10 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Just had TEK3 done on my 05wrx and it is absolutly unbelevable..! Spool up is almost instant, very impressed..!

Definately recommend going down this route...!

2 1/2" full decat (lagged pipes)
STi TMIC
Green panel filter
KL & Boost gauge
Old 11 June 2005, 05:12 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Nice one mate - do you mind me asking how much and what figures you're getting now ? Pm if you like

Cheers
Pete