Notices

J&S Safeguard

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2005, 06:16 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J&S Safeguard

I'm currently running an Apexi PFC, which obviously doesn't pull any timing when knock is detected. - I'm considering a J&S unit to give a bit of a safety margin (especially when the Mrs is driving like a lunatic . )

Is there a UK distributor for this product, or do i just buy direct from the US and cross my fingures that i don't get clobbered for import duty

Does anyone on here currently use one? - If you have one fitted, i would apreciate your feedback, good or bad.

Thanks

Richard
Old 02 June 2005, 10:11 PM
beryllium
Scooby Regular

Hi Richard
you missed the groupbuy last year.
you must order directly to john in usa
i have fitted one with a power fc but not driven still because cosmetic works,just at idle.
john banks have fitted one and has feedback

Charly
Old 02 June 2005, 11:50 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one here new boxed and unused if you are interested.
Old 01 March 2007, 12:56 PM
John at J&S
Scooby Newbie

Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but Ian Whiteside recently gave me permission to post data from his engine.

Ian is a calibration engineer at Ilmor Racing, and used the J&S on his personal F3 engine.

The engine is 2.0L, based on the 1.8L Eclipse engine, with 24 mm inlet retsriction, 14.0:1 CR.

ECU is Motec M400, initially tuned with knock sensing headphones at Knight Racing in Daventry.

The base map has a 2° safety margin from knock, as determined by the det cans. Det cans notify you when the worst cylinder is knocking. Tuning to this cylinder robs power from the others.

The J&S was then installed and timing was progressively bumped as much as 6°, then better fuel was added. The unit detected inaudible knock and retarded only the offending cylinders, allowing an 8% increase.

Ian said that during all the tests, the dyno operator could not detect anything more than trace knock.