Notices

Newbie Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2005, 03:41 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Exhaust Questions

I'm picking up my 53 reg WRX STI on Saturday (can't wait) and the first thing I want to do with it is make it a bit noisier! It seemed very quiet compared to most of the Scoobies I see driving around and I suppose this is because it has a standard exhaust.

My main question is, if I just change the backbox then would that give it the nice sound I'm after, or should I be looking to change the centre pipe and down pipe as well? I wasn't sure whether the main reason people change these is for extra power? At the moment, the car's powerful enough for me

Also, which backbox would people recommend for an STI? I'm tempted by the Hayward & Scott because we have a H&S system on our MR2 Roadster and it's excellent. Am I right in thinking that the 'Scoobysport' exhaust is just a rebadged H&S?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02 June 2005, 04:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by lordretsudo
I'm picking up my 53 reg WRX STI on Saturday (can't wait) and the first thing I want to do with it is make it a bit noisier! It seemed very quiet compared to most of the Scoobies I see driving around and I suppose this is because it has a standard exhaust.

My main question is, if I just change the backbox then would that give it the nice sound I'm after, or should I be looking to change the centre pipe and down pipe as well? I wasn't sure whether the main reason people change these is for extra power? At the moment, the car's powerful enough for me

Also, which backbox would people recommend for an STI? I'm tempted by the Hayward & Scott because we have a H&S system on our MR2 Roadster and it's excellent. Am I right in thinking that the 'Scoobysport' exhaust is just a rebadged H&S?

Thanks for any help.
Hi,

Nice choice of car!

Backbox change will be sufficient for noise.

H&S are THE exhaust manufacturers for Scoobies IMHO. Even the 'relatively quiet' original scooby design sounds fabulous. How loud do you want to go? The Afterburner Vortex is popular for those who like loud!

The Scoobysport exhaust used to be manufactured by H&S, not anymore, now Janspeed make them. Real can o' worms this subject. Lets just say that both systems are highly regarded and you should listen to both and make your own mind up.

NS04

BTW if your car is still under the manufacturers warranty check with the dealer that it's ok to change the backbox first. Most are fine with just this being changed, some may object in which case your warranty would be voided! They certainly wouldn't be happy with you changing the centre or downpipes.

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 02 June 2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02 June 2005, 05:10 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Hi,
BTW if your car is still under the manufacturers warranty check with the dealer that it's ok to change the backbox first. Most are fine with just this being changed, some may object in which case your warranty would be voided! They certainly wouldn't be happy with you changing the centre or downpipes.
Thanks for the reply - I hadn't even considered the warranty issue to be honest Our MR2 is still under warranty (just) and I've done all sorts of things to that, including the full H&S exhaust. Toyota don't seem to be at all bothered about it, but it sounds like Subaru are more awkward...

Any idea how much a H&S backbox will set me back? Thanks again
Old 02 June 2005, 06:17 PM
New_scooby_04

Thanks for the reply - I hadn't even considered the warranty issue to be honest Our MR2 is still under warranty (just) and I've done all sorts of things to that, including the full H&S exhaust. Toyota don't seem to be at all bothered about it, but it sounds like Subaru are more awkward...

Depends on what you want! Have a look at their website for contact details and give them a bell.

Go to www.scoobyworld.com for retail prices for the Afterburner Vortex and classic design.

NS04
Old 03 June 2005, 08:00 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Hi we can sell you a back box for £235 +P+P and the vat = £293.75

Ian