dump valve help please

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2005, 05:59 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dump valve help please

hi guys very new to the site so please bear with me,

picked up a v99 scooby (rb5) i beleive on saturday and want to fit a forge dumpvalve to it. can anyone post a pic of how i connect it up, hoses i'll need please. i have the dump valave already but no hose kit (if i need one)

any help would be great thanks

andy
Old 01 June 2005, 06:16 PM
whitescooby 330
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5ban91r
hi guys very new to the site so please bear with me,

picked up a v99 scooby (rb5) i beleive on saturday and want to fit a forge dumpvalve to it. can anyone post a pic of how i connect it up, hoses i'll need please. i have the dump valave already but no hose kit (if i need one)

any help would be great thanks

andy
mate i think they fit direct to the intercooler
Old 02 June 2005, 08:36 AM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

okay can anyone please post a picture so i have a general idea of what to do or can someone direct me to a scooby garage ( the performance ones cos i can't see subaru helping me ) close (ish) to shropshire cheers in advance
Old 02 June 2005, 09:25 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

You don’t need any extra hosing, everything is already in place.
Depends which one you get either VTA or re-circulating.
The one you have currently fitted is a re-circulating one, therefore remove the two pipes undo the two bolts which attach the std dump valve to the intercooler and re-fit new one and attach hoses.
If you replace with a vta you only use the small pipe, the larger pipe needs to have a bung squeezed in. so fitting is same as the std one except you have nowhere to attach the return pipe to therefore fit the bung into it and attach a jubilee clip to stop it flying out at a later date.

Thats about it !!

Tim.
Old 02 June 2005, 10:10 AM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

top man now can u post a picture cos to be honest i'm ****e at cars can do menial things... just dont wanna mess it up.... or if i post a pic can someone edit it and put arrows for where things have to go

cheers tim
Old 02 June 2005, 10:10 AM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

oh its a VTA one forge it is
Old 02 June 2005, 03:24 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

If you have an e-mail address i can send you a picture with some notes on i have knocked together.

it really is a piece of p!ss !
Old 02 June 2005, 04:13 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

make sure you blank off the old pipe if your fitting a vta
other than that just look at it for 5 minutes then spend another 5(max) fitting it

Old 02 June 2005, 09:20 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

okay where the hell can i get the fitting kit from please cos my local supplier says the kit come complete with dump valve

i need that plate or......... is it just a peice of stainless steel ?

mmm think i could get my mate brother to make me one up mmmm gives me an idea any gasket seal needed ?
Old 02 June 2005, 09:20 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

sorry that plate i meant

thanks in advance
Old 03 June 2005, 12:53 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

If its a forge VTA and you are sticking it on a MY 99 I'm pretty sure you don't need a plate. I have one on my MY00 and all I did was unscrew the 2 bolt's, disconnect the two hoses (1 big 1 small) Gently pull away from the intercooler, taking care not to loose the bolts or tear the gasket.
Refit the gasket to the forge, marry up to the intercooler, replace bolts. Put bung in big pipe, attach small pipe to Dump Valve, done.

The Intercooler in the picture is not a standard one and if you have the same DV as in the picture, then you have the wrong one. That one will fit but there is a more suitable one for your car.

Yours should look like this

Bet it looks more like this though

When you buy the correct one, you should find included in the kit, a shiney machined bung, a few springs of varying tensions and some spacers. In some kits I have also recieved spare allen bolts, an allen key AND a sachet of high temp grease

These DV's do need a little maintaining and whilst not the loudest on the market, do offer a good quality/value for money compromise. Cost about £100 compared to the £200+ for the HKS SSQ thingy majig

Actually as I remember, Student bloke who used to post on here has an RB5 and he borrowed my DV to decide wether he wanted one and that was a straight swap so there you have it FACT You don't need a fitting plate, you do however need to get the right one
If you already have the right one, just bolt it on.

PS Your car will not be any faster, your spool up time does not decrease and you will still get turbo lag. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Your car will however Sound busier, pop and bang, use more fuel, have you driving on and off bost for no apparent reason other than to make you grin

Have fun
Old 03 June 2005, 02:15 PM
Midget
Scooby Regular

Gridlock

You forgot to tell him that the grin will only last a few months as the bottom end will fail with a VTA dump .
Have rebuilt 5 so far this year ( good money though ) so keep fitting those VTA dumps .
Old 03 June 2005, 02:42 PM
flatoutscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midget
Gridlock

You forgot to tell him that the grin will only last a few months as the bottom end will fail with a VTA dump .
How does a VTA cause the bottom end to fail I know loads of people on SN use them but i haven't heard them being the cause of engine failure?

Luke
Old 03 June 2005, 04:06 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

see now what funny here is that i have just got back from glouster (spelt wrong i know ) now A. i have just read this. and now i thinking

B. i've just spent four hours on the motorway to go and get me a kit to be told the bottom end might go ... anyway **** it off to fit it right now be back in ten mins lol
Old 03 June 2005, 04:07 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

oh and yeh i had the wrong dump valve so the wrong one i have is up for grabs if anyone needs it owes me 36 quid
Old 03 June 2005, 04:29 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

done all on sounds great and yes i'm grinning
Old 03 June 2005, 07:42 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Im going to sell mine soon - a forge VTA for MY99 fitment.

its started to do my head in - sounds like a feckin bus
Old 04 June 2005, 10:44 PM
rb5ban91r
Scooby Regular

lmao thats what my mrs just said earlier lol ..... still bloody fun though
Old 04 June 2005, 11:21 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyDAZZA

Where did you get that intercooler from i want one?
Old 06 June 2005, 06:52 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Midget
Gridlock

Have rebuilt 5 so far this year ( good money though ) so keep fitting those VTA dumps .

You tell me how and I might take note(:idiotsmilie

Did I tell you that i've done nearly 75,000 with mine fitted (That'll be nearly 48 months)

*Shakes head and mutters* Scaremongering idiot More like peoples crap driving with incorrectly set up cars that make 'em break. However if you are earning money out of scaring people then fair enough!!

You might want to nip over to bbs.believeeverything.co.uk or www.iknow fcukallaboutcars.com they have loads of good advice over there
Old 08 June 2005, 12:36 PM
Midget
Scooby Regular

OK Mikey i will tell you how .

The MAF measures the mass of air entering through the intake system and simply put the ECM adjusts fuelling timing etc according to the ECM map ,The conventional dump valve recirculates this air which has been measured and accounted for by the ECM back into the air intake after the maf sensor .
When you fit a VTA dump this air is vented to the atmosphere and thus the ECM,s fuelling calculation for the amount of available air in the system is incorrect and eventually leads to the " BIG BANG Theory " .

So the manufacturer designs and develops a system of recirculating boost
pressure and you think its no problem to fundamentally change this system block off a large bore pipe and expect nothing to happen !! Come on ! .
I am sure there are people who will back you and some who will back me but i have seen engines blow after 1 month with a VTA fitted so i guess your lucky yours lasted so long .

My 5 yr old loves when i drive a car with a VTA fitted she thinks its sounds like the front door of the Telly Tubbies House !!! so i guess there is some benefit to fitting one but i reckon thats about it .

Midget !!
Old 08 June 2005, 04:30 PM
Midget
Scooby Regular

Those of you with Kids will know what i mean about the Telly Tubbies !
Old 08 June 2005, 04:35 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Where shall I start..........

By the way, scoobys have ecu's. When the ecu reads the inconsistency created by the VTA it does a few things, the first is it adjusts a few parameters or put another way, it learns. Another thing that it is really quite good at is looking after itself and folk with a VTA will generally find that the car overfuels slightly. (Easier to generate flames if one is in place but NOT Vital) Whilst not ideal, it is generally accepted that overfueling slightly is better than running lean and second only to low oil levels running lean with above ave boost levels results in damaged engines SOMETIMES.
Damaging engines due to overfuelling (Sometimes referred to as borewash but I believe that to be a different cause) is comparatively rare in the big picture, so rare infact that in ALL my years of scooby ownership and ALL the people i know with scoobs fitted with VTA's and ALL the regional SIDC events I have organised and ALL the Scoobynet meets and ALL the ...............ah sod it, I must know literaly hundreds of cars and their owners all with different levels of mechanical know how that have run their cars with VTA's and I've NEVER heard of someone loosing a bottom end due to a VTA NEVER.
That's not to say it can't happen but I gotta admit, you having rebuilt plenty of engines where the VTA has been proven to be the problem, I consider that to be extraodinarily spooky.
More likely that it was a coincidence that the engines you rebuilt had VTA's, c'mon admit it
Old 08 June 2005, 05:18 PM
Midget
Scooby Regular

Mikey your explanation is all well and and good and may even stand up in some circles but what you omitted to consider is that pre 01 models with a single oxygen and post 01 models with the EOBD system will use the oxygen and A/F sensors to maintain stoicometric fuelling and when a rich mixture is monitored the ECM will be leaned back this leaning back and subsequent venting of the dump leads to a lean mixture incorrect timing and excessive
forces on the the motor thus leading to big end failure which is what we have repaired , No matter how quick or how good the ECM is at learing it cannot learn that the system has been fundamentally changed .
Old 08 June 2005, 05:20 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

*Hands in pockets, hunches shoulders, shrugs, takes a drag of his **** Dude, the weather is too nice for this, fancy a pint?
Old 08 June 2005, 05:34 PM
Midget
Scooby Regular

Too right mate !
Im gonna finish up now go to the pub and watch Ireland hopefully beat
the fawlklands I mean the Faroes .

Midget