EJ20 or EJ25?

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2005, 05:26 PM
hybridturbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ20 or EJ25?

Hi All,

This weekend I had a bit of a problem with my '97 Legacy twin-turbo (understatement). I was on my way up the M90 heading north and the old girl started rattling. The rattle became more noticeable and I lost power very quickly. I managed to get it on the back of a recovery truck and dropped it off at the good folk at AWD in Perth.

So here we are on Monday and a phone call to AWD has realised my worst fears. It appears the big end is gone and possibly the crankshaft. The clutch was on its way out anyway but that needs changed as well. I've got no choice but to get it sorted so I've got a few choices.

1) Engine rebuild
2) Buy a second hand unit and install it
3) Buy a new short block and have that fitted (using the existing ancillaries)

Option 1 is the most expensive; Option 2 is the most risky as I have no idea what condition a replacement would be in and Option 3 is the most interesting.

I could go and source a new standard EJ20 from whomever or I could go with a new EJ25 from the US STI. The latter is looking really attractive, as I've seen the prices from a group buy on SN. Price-wise, It will probably cost the same so the question that remains is about reliability. Does anybody have any experience with these conversions or do you know anybody that can offer any knowledgeable advice?

Cheers,
Charles.
Old 23 May 2005, 09:00 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

There are quite a few 2.5s about now, using the US STi block. Several are detailed in Projects. Run a search. I'm very pleased with mine

Richard.

PS Edited to add, I think you'll be better of with an EJ20. I have a very nice clean one in my garage...
Old 24 May 2005, 02:23 PM
U WOT!
Scooby Regular

Got my 2.5 back Friday and just running it in. So happy, you can just sit in 5th all the time and it pulls so well.
Old 25 May 2005, 12:59 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

U WOT - wait till you get it remapped then
Old 25 May 2005, 09:05 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Powerstation seem to be selling the 2.0 STI short engine left over from the T25 conversion for £800 + VAT, must be a consideration? They are brand new!
Old 25 May 2005, 11:25 AM
STI Craig
Scooby Regular

i would say defo go with the new short block

as you would be fitting new parts
Old 25 May 2005, 01:07 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Charles, in all honesty, there are several down-sides to the 2.5 option, namely cost and time.

To make the 2.5 go you would need a new turbo, possibly injectors (440 min), fuel pump and a remap. I was lucky with the group buy price of my 2.5 but at commercial rates you're going to be paying £1,500 + VAT or more. The gasket set might be another £200. Fitting about £1,000 to get the old one out and the new one in? Also, how long would it take you to get a 2.5 block, although you could be lucky. £5k-ish and a few weeks, maybe months?

On the other hand, Power Station are selling new 2.0 blocks from their Type 25 conversions for Litchfield at £800 + VAT, and if you go the used route I'm sure David at API Engines could beat that price. If it comes to it, you can have my old block for a song This option around £2k and get it done next week?

To me, the choice is either get back on the road at minimum cost with a 2.0, or if you fancy a tweak, and the time off the road and money are not a problem, then consider 2.5. Given your location, why not drop a note to Andy F for his advice? Very helpful guy.

Cheers,

Richard.

Last edited by Hoppy; 25 May 2005 at 01:14 PM.