Engine rattle, was caused by oil pump screws

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2005, 05:53 PM
Douglarse
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rattle, was caused by oil pump screws

Hi all,

My 97 Uk started to rattle just before the turbo cut in. Stopped driving the car as soon as i heard this strange sound, which i thought at first was heat shield rattling.

At the moment the car is being rebuilt after being told that the four screws on the oil pump had became loose causing crank damage and shells.This was not the fixing bolts, but the cross head ones inside the pump.

Have been shown the crank and shells which show some light scoring.

Has anyone else heard of this, or am i just as unlucky as ever.

Today i got the call on costs to repair the engine, which is around £1900 for rebuild.

This include new clutch, crank,cam belt, shells, think he said a rod also and a new oil pump. Plus new seals etc.

Not to sure if this price is about right so looking for a little idea if i may be being overpriced.

Car had just clocked 70k and was about to get its big service.

Thanks for taken time to read this and any help greatfully received.

Regards Douglarse.

Ment to say that the car had stood on my drive for around four weeks whilst on my honey moon, but i did not thrash it, i let it tick over for about 10 minutes , the drove arfound the block, then noticed the tapping, rattle sound.

Have search for anyone else who has heard of this problem, but no luck.

Last edited by Douglarse; 18 May 2005 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Update on car usage.
Old 18 May 2005, 11:26 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

The sponsor on the drivetrain section is API, speak to them, I have never had any experience of them myself, but I hear that they are the best.

Adam
Old 19 May 2005, 08:34 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong, but I doubt you would hear a rattle due to screws loose INSIDE the oil pump?? Its full of Oil, its deep inside the engine, you are in the car and the engine is at about 3000RPM ....... how could the rattle possibly be those screws? It could still be the heatshield.

It has been known for outfits to strip and engine and errrrm, 'make-up' some ****-and-bull story to suit a big profit/job! Not sure who they are ... but, have a cool think first.

A call to API could be worth doing, they are very highly rated by members of this BBS.

Pete
Old 19 May 2005, 08:43 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

maybe you over filled the filter with "carlube" and then ignored the fecked MAF after turning down your Subaru extended warranty?????

never know , could happen??? eh mr.lewis..........................
Old 19 May 2005, 09:38 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you leave you car standing for a month then its a good idea to crank the engine over with the crank sensor disconnected and if you're realy keen, remove the plugs too. This way you will replenish the oil to the bearings before loading them. If you don't then you could risk running the bearings a little dry.

F
Old 19 May 2005, 09:46 AM
megrac
Scooby Regular

It IS true that the screws holding the oil pump together can get a little lose. It is a little unproven that its one of the causes of the subaru big end problem but may of been in this case.
When rebuilding its a good idear to hit the sides of the screws with a flat head screwdriver to dig a bit of the screw into the alloy housing after being tightend.
Old 19 May 2005, 08:30 PM
Douglarse
Scooby Newbie

Default A little more info.............

Thanks guys.

The bloke i am using has rebuilt quite a few lumps, and i was given his name, by to different owners, at different times.

Its not the screws that made the sound, it was the bearings, no3 piston shell on the crank has wear marks.Or something like that. Was explianed to me that, the oil was not pumping through the crank properly due to these screws being loose.Either way, the crank has damage, shells have blackend on the inside ( not big with teccy jargon).

Have to say,i think it was the long stand that caused it, it my mind. Can not help feeling i neglected my car, for a few weeks, lol and it got jellous of the girl i married, went of on honeymoon in the sun with whilst, the car sat loney on my drive. lol.

Whilst i on the subject of my rebuild, going to have a dump valve and induction kit fitted , just so i can see an improvement for the two grand i have spent. What should i go for that wont break the piggy bank.

regards

Old 19 May 2005, 08:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stockcar
maybe you over filled the filter with "carlube" and then ignored the fecked MAF after turning down your Subaru extended warranty?????

never know , could happen??? eh mr.lewis..........................
Could happen ........ in some petrolheads dream, yes.

In real life?? Nah ......

Pete
Old 19 May 2005, 10:25 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by megrac
It IS true that the screws holding the oil pump together can get a little lose. It is a little unproven that its one of the causes of the subaru big end problem but may of been in this case.
When rebuilding its a good idear to hit the sides of the screws with a flat head screwdriver to dig a bit of the screw into the alloy housing after being tightend.
Having recently stripped down my old engine. I removed the oil pump & found 2 of the 5 back plate screws were loose?
Old 19 May 2005, 10:32 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget the Dump valve. It'll be no improvement in performance apart from sound. The induction kit will only really make a difference with zorst and other supporting mods. You'll need a remap to be safe if you do decide to mod.

F
Old 11 July 2005, 12:20 PM
Douglarse
Scooby Newbie

Hi all,

Well just got my car back, after a £2055 pound bill for rebuild. Had a new crank, shells, think i got a rod or two. gaskets, new cam belt, and a new clutch too. The £55 pound bit was for a blinking battery, lol. Still got me car back, runs as sweet as a nut now, just 1 little nig problem, think i have a noisey tappet. Thats what the bloke who did the rebuild says anyway, question is "is a noisey tappet, a happy tappet" like ford used to say, lol. Also he has not fitted the heat shield over turbo, which i am a bit puzzeled about. He told me that import dont have this shield fitted, but why would they make these shield if they where not needed.

Anyway, cars back, smilies all round for me. If any one want to now details on who rebuilt my scooby, Maidstone area, get intouch and i will pass on his number.

Very happy with his work and price.

Douglarse
Old 11 July 2005, 03:37 PM
Scoobyslammed
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Wink

Don't forget to let things bed in gently, no flooring for running in period...
Old 11 July 2005, 07:02 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

refit the heatshield.
Old 11 July 2005, 07:23 PM
Douglarse
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for replies.

Not flooring it yet, it will be the longest tank full of fuel i have ever had. Goes back after 500miles to have oil changed and new plugs fitted. Have to say, it does run like a dream, apart from the tappet , which is next on the list.

Will get the heat shield refitted to.

I have been along time with out my car, and now i feel as if my little world is complete once more. Now just have to make the wife see "Its not just any old car" lol.

Regards