Notices

Scoobyclinic or API for exhaust and remap - What you do reckon?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2005, 03:16 PM
dc268
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoobyclinic or API for exhaust and remap - What you do reckon?

I'll soon be getting a full de-cat exhaust and remap for my classic wrx. I've got a choice between going to Scoobyclinic and getting a magnex system + one of their remaps on a rolling road or going to API Engines and getting a Scooby Sport exhaust + remap on road with me driving.

Both companies have excellent reputations,
Both are around the same price and an equal hassle-factor for me to get to.

So which one do you think is best?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05 May 2005, 03:18 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by dc268
I'll soon be getting a full de-cat exhaust and remap for my classic wrx. I've got a choice between going to Scoobyclinic and getting a magnex system + one of their remaps on a rolling road or going to API Engines and getting a Scooby Sport exhaust + remap on road with me driving.

Both use the same mapper!

AFAIK!

NS04
Old 06 May 2005, 08:32 AM
dc268
Scooby Regular

Any advantage to mapping on the road rather than on a rolling road?
Old 06 May 2005, 09:21 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

APi Of course !!

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 06 May 2005, 09:40 AM
New_scooby_04

Cool

Any advantage to mapping on the road rather than on a rolling road?
Best to ask the mappers, but at a guess I'd say that the advantage of a rolling road is that you don't have to worry about traffic and road conditions etc.. so it's easier to modulate the revs, boost etc...... to what the mapper needs at a particular point in time without the interuptions. I'd guess that the disadvantge of this control over the environment is that its harder to map to take account of your driving style and personal preferences in the characteristics of the power delivery, which -i'm guessing- is easier on the road!

Just a guess though!!

NS04
Old 06 May 2005, 02:35 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Personally I would get it mapped on the road (its where you drive the car so the loads will be the same), you can also map it in 4th gear to keep speeds down.

And you don't have to drive like a lunatic, the mapper is generally looking at a laptop. So if its not save to accelerate then tell them and wait until it is.

Dave.
Old 06 May 2005, 02:40 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Personally i think a rolling road map (to help with the high speed/high load stuff in a safe environment) then tailored out on the road would be a good choice. But i'd say that it's essential the map is at least finished on the road, i'd never trust a car only set up on the rollers. All IMHO tho

Tony.
Old 06 May 2005, 03:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Cool

Originally Posted by DaveW
Personally I would get it mapped on the road (its where you drive the car so the loads will be the same), you can also map it in 4th gear to keep speeds down.

And you don't have to drive like a lunatic, the mapper is generally looking at a laptop. So if its not save to accelerate then tell them and wait until it is.

Dave.
LOL

Mapper: Ok, I need full boost in 5th gear!!!
Driver: Before or after we've hit the bus?!?!?!
Both: AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!

NS04
Old 06 May 2005, 04:57 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
Personally i think a rolling road map (to help with the high speed/high load stuff in a safe environment) then tailored out on the road would be a good choice. But i'd say that it's essential the map is at least finished on the road, i'd never trust a car only set up on the rollers. All IMHO tho

Tony.
you get the best of both worlds at the clinic, we do most of the map on the rollers then onto the road for the final tweaks

hope this helps!

ads
Old 07 May 2005, 05:23 PM
velosgr
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by Tone Loc

Tony.
I would most certainly prefer on the road, driver oriented tuning! It is doubtable whether a rolling road would give you even a distant simulation of your specific driving style.
You can have 300bhp tuned on rolling road and never see them against a Civic Type R for a example-a shame. You should insist on getting the final adjustments on the road. Choose a nice and quiet hour and go for it.
Old 09 May 2005, 12:40 PM
dc268
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the opinions...seems like there's not much in it really!
Old 09 May 2005, 05:15 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by velosgr
It is doubtable whether a rolling road would give you even a distant simulation of your specific driving style.
Can you explain to me how driving style can influence engine mapping (unless you like to load the car up on the brakes ).

Tony.
Old 09 May 2005, 08:19 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Question

You cannot map a car "properly" on the road, it is impossible to hold the various load sites once the turbo starts to spool up. It is dangerous and very hard on the brakes trying to simulate / hold the various load sites. Agree the best principle is to map it on the rollers holding steady state at each load site and adjusting fueling / ignition to suit. Once finished the car should then go out on the road to adjust the boost control / ISCV and other real world driving parameters.

As Tony said, how does driving style influence the engine AFR / ignition map?

advertising removed by PH

Last edited by The Zohan; 10 May 2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09 May 2005, 09:47 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

in that case depends on price and whos buying you a cooked lunch
Old 09 May 2005, 09:49 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

which exhaust system do you like the sound of?
Old 09 May 2005, 10:18 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was mapped on scoobyclinics rolling road, I agree with doing both

Its just not sensible mapping mine on the road, plus when it breaks its allready within pushing distance of the ramps

David
Old 09 May 2005, 10:35 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Back together yet m8?
Old 10 May 2005, 08:19 AM
dc268
Scooby Regular

David - how did you find the remap at Scoobyclinic? Did you drive for the final tailoring of the map on road?
Cheers.
Old 12 May 2005, 08:27 AM
dc268
Scooby Regular

Some more info:

Scoobyclinic are saying with an exhaust (full de-cat) and remap (plug in 'piggy back' chip remapped by themselves on a rolling road and actual road) the car should achieve EITHER 275/280 bhp OR 310/315 bhp but are unsure why wrx's seem too come in at either one of these power levels. I would obviously be happy with 310 bhp but 275 bhp doesn't seem like such a bargain for around £1200 - I thought I'd get around that just with the exhaust on a '96 wrx. What do people reckon?

API is claiming 290-300bhp after the exhaust and a remap which used a solder in chip and is mapped on road (external mapper I think?), can power figures be measured without a rolling road?

Peoples opinions are appreciated. Its seems like quite a spread of power figures to be quoting for similar cost (I realise there are no guarantees to power achieved with this sort of work).
Old 12 May 2005, 12:56 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't expect shed loads of extra grunt from just a zorst and map but then again my expectations will be different to yours!

Power isn't cheap!
F
Old 12 May 2005, 01:12 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

I had mine done at api (pat) and will be on the rolling road in 2 weeks so i can let you know then.

I think you may have fuelling issues above 300bhp on your standard injectors and fuel pump, and would have thought 280-300 is more realistic.

1996 wrx produces 260ps = 256bhp
Add in lower octane fuel and you might be putting out 250bhp.
Full decat and exhaust may bring you up to 268bhp.
The remap might take you on to 285bhp.

A bit of guesstimation but shows how you may well be producing less power than you thought due to PS/BHP and octane differences
Old 12 May 2005, 02:28 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some more info:

Scoobyclinic are saying with an exhaust (full de-cat) and remap (plug in 'piggy back' chip remapped by themselves on a rolling road and actual road) the car should achieve EITHER 275/280 bhp OR 310/315 bhp but are unsure why wrx's seem too come in at either one of these power levels. I would obviously be happy with 310 bhp but 275 bhp doesn't seem like such a bargain for around £1200 - I thought I'd get around that just with the exhaust on a '96 wrx. What do people reckon?

API is claiming 290-300bhp after the exhaust and a remap which used a solder in chip and is mapped on road (external mapper I think?), can power figures be measured without a rolling road?

Peoples opinions are appreciated. Its seems like quite a spread of power figures to be quoting for similar cost (I realise there are no guarantees to power achieved with this sort of work).
Rolling road results depend on many factors...and you will find different rollers will give you different results...

Though i am planning to visit ScoobyClinic to make a run on my next visit up North.. Providing i don't get lost...
Old 12 May 2005, 03:29 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Conrad_Bradley
You cannot map a car "properly" on the road, it is impossible to hold the various load sites once the turbo starts to spool up. It is dangerous and very hard on the brakes trying to simulate / hold the various load sites. Agree the best principle is to map it on the rollers holding steady state at each load site and adjusting fueling / ignition to suit. Once finished the car should then go out on the road to adjust the boost control / ISCV and other real world driving parameters.

As Tony said, how does driving style influence the engine AFR / ignition map?

advertising removed by PH
I think thats a matter of opinion. The mapper should already have a fairly close base map to work from and then its easy to map on the real road. Had mine mapped by AndyF on the road and had no probs.

If the mapper doesnt have a close base map to start from then that may be another matter, but I'd rather the development work be tried and tested elsewhere before having it mapped onto mine.

As for driving style, if think different people have differing prefs on how they want boost to come in etc.

I would always go for a 'real road' map.

Bob
Old 12 May 2005, 04:00 PM
dc268
Scooby Regular

Roojai - hare you happy with the car after the remap at API?
Anyone else got any experience of either Scoobyclinic's or API's remaps they'd like to share?
Cheers.
Old 12 May 2005, 04:09 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

If Pat is mapping at either place I would base the decision on which exhaust I perfer and price.

Bob
Old 13 May 2005, 08:37 AM
dc268
Scooby Regular

Scoobyclinic told me they map it themselves, so I'm assuming that means they don't use Pat.

For those of us who don't know - what's the difference between a solder-in chip (as used by API) and the plug-in 'piggy-back' chip (as used by Scoobyclinic) in terms of performance, flexibility etc?

Thanks.
Old 13 May 2005, 09:52 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

we do use pat for our mapping both "scoobyecu"& Ecutek
Old 13 May 2005, 10:19 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Mapper: Ok, I need full boost in 5th gear!!!
Driver: Before or after we've hit the bus?!?!?!
Both: AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!
PMSL, Andy gave me a clip round the ear (although very delicately put ) for doing what he asked when he asked during the first mapping session.