my car cuts

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2005, 09:13 PM
st.anger
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car cuts

Sometimes when driving.
The car just cuts out warning lights come on steering wheel locks and engine dead. The engine will start first time no problem and the rest of the trip it will be fine. It’s been to the garage four times now they say the computer switch the engine off because of a fault but they cannot find any fault. Last time he said he change a unit (WLF?? IS THAT)
Its costing me 300. Pounds just for him to disconnect the battery to reset the computer??

Any help?
Old 20 April 2005, 09:23 PM
PlaneSailing
Scooby Newbie

What model and year is it mate? If the ECU shuts down the engine because of a fault it will retain the code in the memory. Not sure the garage you are using really know what they are doing mate as disconnecting the battery will remove any stored codes. If it's a 'classic' model you can read the fault codes via the CEL light new age you'll need either some software and a laptop or a garage with a select monitor, either way, get the stored codes read next time it occurs.
Old 20 April 2005, 09:34 PM
st.anger
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by PlaneSailing
What model and year is it mate? If the ECU shuts down the engine because of a fault it will retain the code in the memory. Not sure the garage you are using really know what they are doing mate as disconnecting the battery will remove any stored codes. If it's a 'classic' model you can read the fault codes via the CEL light new age you'll need either some software and a laptop or a garage with a select monitor, either way, get the stored codes read next time it occurs.

its T reg subaru legacey 2lt classic. its never had a problem before bit scary when going down the a66 at 70 plus and it cuts out no warning just cuts out
Old 21 April 2005, 10:27 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Christ, the steering locks? Or is it just that the power assistance is gone? If it locks, surely there is a problem with the ignition barrel and nothing to do with the ECU?
Old 22 April 2005, 09:10 AM
st.anger
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Trashman
Christ, the steering locks? Or is it just that the power assistance is gone? If it locks, surely there is a problem with the ignition barrel and nothing to do with the ECU?

yer the steering wheel locks just at the same time as the engine cuts of? and all the warning lights comes on. but it starts first time no problem then its fine for the rest of the trip? its going to a main subaru main dealer so hopefully they shaould find the fault. what type of test can they do to find the fault???

Last edited by st.anger; 22 April 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 30 July 2005, 03:22 PM
shanewrx/sti
Scooby Regular

is your car idling funny? because my car was like that but subaru chage my idle control valve and its ok now. but when i drive the car hard all my lights come on and the engine cuts out. can anyone help me with this? cheers