help needed with de-cat downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2005, 05:56 PM
TK-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help needed with de-cat downpipe

firstly my car is a 93 wrx and the downpipe came off a terzo

my car went in today to a local garage that does a few bits for me to have my de-cat downpipe fitted, he has just rung and said that there is another electrical component (sensor) and what is it, as theres no where for it to go, i have plugged the lambada sensor hole with a bolt as mine is a 93 wrx, downpipe came off a terzo, he also asked about the heat exchange as theres no where to fit it back (fixings i persume) can somebody help me to what this other component is and is it ok to leave it off, also same question about the heat shield, when you fit one of these pipes do you leave it off ? please help kind people
TK
Old 19 April 2005, 06:29 PM
scoobyboy34
Scooby Regular

I fitted my de-cat downpipe to my 94 WRX just last week (a megan downpipe) the fit was not too bad, as I had a little trouble with the two mount fixings not lining up, and the centre pipe gasket was not needed, (I just used the old doughnut bung on the new pipe and It was OK.) I just disconnected the Lambada sensor and there Is no probs, no engine check lights. The heat sheild Is left on the the original catted downpipe, as you'll need this for your next MOT, but there's not much reason to re-fit it. My down pipe Is quite a distance from anything (Including the brake cylinder which has a heat protected cover anyway.)
Old 19 April 2005, 09:18 PM
washer
Scooby Regular

Default heat exhaust

Originally Posted by TK-WRX
firstly my car is a 93 wrx and the downpipe came off a terzo

my car went in today to a local garage that does a few bits for me to have my de-cat downpipe fitted, he has just rung and said that there is another electrical component (sensor) and what is it, as theres no where for it to go, i have plugged the lambada sensor hole with a bolt as mine is a 93 wrx, downpipe came off a terzo, he also asked about the heat exchange as theres no where to fit it back (fixings i persume) can somebody help me to what this other component is and is it ok to leave it off, also same question about the heat shield, when you fit one of these pipes do you leave it off ? please help kind people
TK
heat shield not needed the sensor ! either oxeg sensor or exhaust cannot remember but this is needed so i was told when my downpipe was fittered
Old 19 April 2005, 09:20 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the extra sensor is a cat 'hot' sensor...............only needed for Japanese policing reasons..............just forget it............

alyn
Old 19 April 2005, 11:06 PM
TK-WRX
Scooby Regular

cheers for the replys people it is a cat temp sensor,
TK
Old 19 April 2005, 11:17 PM
my 93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy34
The heat sheild Is left on the the original catted downpipe, as you'll need this for your next MOT,
Removed my sensor 9 months ago no probs since.

AFAIK from SN threads MY93's & MY94's don't need cats for the mot as there is no exact match for these models. I haven't tried this as I have a friendly garage but i have read a few threads on here about it. If you search for mot and trawl throu i'm sure you'll find it.

my93
Old 19 April 2005, 11:46 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Re the heatshield - may be an idea to wrap the downpipe to try to keep as much of the heat inside the pipe as is possible, keeping the engine bay a teensy little bit cooler.

This is a bugger to do with the pipe in place, tho - managed to get about a quarter of mine done in this way, and it was far from tidy. Was a piece of pi$$ with the pipe off the car. Wrapping reduces noise a little too.

Kev