Notices

Which panel filter to go for???

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2005, 12:56 PM
blitzboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which panel filter to go for???

Ive just had a collins powerchip on MY99 RB5 and was expecting about 260bhp, assuming it was standard 218bhp but we got it on the rollers to discover it was 247bhp to start with, so it must of had a PPP on even though subaru assured me it hadn't when i purchased the car 3 weeks ago.

since spending the day having the car set up with the powerchip it came out at 279.4bhp which i was really pleased with, it responds so much better and pulls alot stronger, i cant believe the difference running at 1.1bar makes.

Ive still got the front cat in so im looking at getting it decated and a panel filter, the chap at mikeanics recons it'll be good for over 300bhp with that as the cat on the down pipe is holding it back.

Question is.... Which filter do i go for? as i know i need a dry 1 as the one's which contain oil drip onto the maf sensor which makes it send the wrong reading back to the ecu which ruins the mixture.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Cheers
Blitz
Old 16 April 2005, 01:26 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Where did you have it RR'd?

You wont get over 300bhp on std turbo (TD04).

I also cant see that setup making 279bhp @1.1bar.

Bob
Old 16 April 2005, 02:14 PM
blitzboy1
Scooby Regular

thats what i thought, the rr is probably out, i had it done at mikeanics in congleton, does alot of work for rally cars.

Not really bothered to be honest, it feels alot better, much greater pull right through the gears.

Any ideas on a panel filter though?

Blitz.
Old 16 April 2005, 02:34 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Sti panel filter which is none oil element are very good over the standard filter but to get 300 bhp you will need to a bit more than that.

R.B
Old 16 April 2005, 02:53 PM
blitzboy1
Scooby Regular

I know it'll take more than that to get 300bhp, im just stating what it says on my print outs, im going to get it RR'd at a couple of other place's, then just get an average, i would be happy with 270-280 after downpipe, i only want a panel filter to simply help it, i doubt it'll give me more than 1 bhp lol but i do expect 20 odd bhp from a downpipe.

RR are always out by about 10% anyway, usually in favour of the car but i want to get it on a dyno pack so the hubs are tellin the story and not the wheels.

I only really use the rollers to get an idea of what its doin and how the engine is coping.

Cheers for the help though guys

Blitz.
Old 16 April 2005, 03:25 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you want to run your car at Prosport in stockport, their RR is very accurate
But your going to struggle with 20bhp from a down pipe, 10 if your lucky.

Tony
Old 18 April 2005, 12:34 AM
blitzboy1
Scooby Regular

Maybe, but from a complete system about 70% of the power gain is from the main cat, so when you get claimed power increases of 30-40bhp (depending on engine + turbo type) at least half of it comes from the from cat being removed.

Im no prodrive engineer, im just going of my own research and other poeples cars, the bug eye onwards didnt gain the same level of increase due to a more advanced ecu which prevented it from retarding the timing and over boosting which is where the 20bhp comes from on earlier cars.

Its not a true reading as far as i know as the boost does lean off, earlier cars can over boost as far as 4-5psi which is dangerous, hence the advancment.

Ive even had claims of 25bhp from a backbox for an import sti which i find very surprising tbh.

I will get a rolling road session at prosport to get a true(ish) figure but either way im not that bothered, i go of how it feels.

Blitz