Notices

Maximum Boost Levels

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2005, 07:43 PM
scoobyboy34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximum Boost Levels

What safe maximum boost levels could I run on my scoob without causing any long term or Immediate damage to the engine?

I'm currently running a MY94 WRX Import with mods Including Type RA gearbox 1-4, standard 5th gear, STI LSD, STI ECU, Sard fuel pump, Genador de-cat centre pipe and back box, Megan De-cat downpipe, K&N 57i Induction kit and a Bailey Motorsport dumpvalve. It must be running In the region of 300+ BHP, as when I bought It, It didn't have the Induction kit, downpipe or DV, and the guy I bought It from says It was In the region of 280-300BHP, although I havn't any documents to prove. But after driving a freind of mines scoob who's recently had his on the rolling road that registered 275, mine Is much quicker.

I recently acquired a manual boost controler, so what would be a safe boost level that wouldn't hamper performance, but on the other hand would offer peace of mind to weather the engines going to go pop or not?
Old 15 April 2005, 09:39 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

With your current level of modifications it would be advisable to fit a knocklink(if you haven't already)before raising the boost to monitor for Detonation with an AFR (Lambdalink or Dawes) to make sure you are not running lean - backed up by a wideband lambda.

Cheers
Old 15 April 2005, 09:50 PM
chris dt
Scooby Regular

hi,im no expert but i would take it to a well known tuner and find out what your current level of tune is at the moment.it may well be that your boost levels are at their optimum for your set up and by raising them any further may result in engine damage(detonation).a knocklink is a must for any tuned scooby.
Originally Posted by scoobyboy34
What safe maximum boost levels could I run on my scoob without causing any long term or Immediate damage to the engine?

I'm currently running a MY94 WRX Import with mods Including Type RA gearbox 1-4, standard 5th gear, STI LSD, STI ECU, Sard fuel pump, Genador de-cat centre pipe and back box, Megan De-cat downpipe, K&N 57i Induction kit and a Bailey Motorsport dumpvalve. It must be running In the region of 300+ BHP, as when I bought It, It didn't have the Induction kit, downpipe or DV, and the guy I bought It from says It was In the region of 280-300BHP, although I havn't any documents to prove. But after driving a freind of mines scoob who's recently had his on the rolling road that registered 275, mine Is much quicker.

I recently acquired a manual boost controler, so what would be a safe boost level that wouldn't hamper performance, but on the other hand would offer peace of mind to weather the engines going to go pop or not?
Old 16 April 2005, 01:20 PM
scoobyboy34
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the response, the Idea was actually to lower boost levels, before the de-cat down pipe was fitted I was running around 1.2Bar, and touch wood had no probs with the car for nearly two years, It's now raised to 1.4Bar, but have only took It up to this level after Initial set up of the pipe to see what It was boosting to. The question was just to ask an opinion to what levels I should be running with my current set up, maybe stick to 1.2Bar??
Old 16 April 2005, 02:12 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

With your current level of modifications it would be advisable to fit a knocklink(if you haven't already)before raising the boost to monitor for Detonation with an AFR (Lambdalink or Dawes) to make sure you are not running lean - backed up by a wideband lambda.
Like I said above - Running beyond the factory levels (which would be 11.47psig on your particular model) without a Knocklink and having the fuelling checked could be very DETrimental to your engine. You may have an STi ECU but it will be set up to run with 100Ron fuel (Japanese) so 'playing' with the boost without any monitoring/checking will ultimately result in engine damage

Cheers