Notices

Any help with overboost problems please

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2005, 10:23 PM
barryc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Any help with overboost problems please

A mate of mine has just bought a my 94 wrx and it seemed to have a boost problem. the boost gauge was reading the normal 9 psi but the car felt like it was missing or over boosting a bit. We had a look over the car while changing the plugs and have found that the pipe that comes off the bottom of the 3 port boost solinoid was bunged instead of running back into the induction kit as mine does. I run a HKS setup and he has a K&N filter but i don,t think there should be much differance should there? Now on a test run the boost gauge is showing well over 15 psi and you can feel the boost cut come in. As its a new car to him we next removed the ECU to check for mods and all looks normal ( I run a scooby ecu so checked just in case ). Has anybody got any idea as to the problem because i'm running out of things to try at the moment.
Thanks for all help
Barry C
Old 06 April 2005, 06:35 AM
barryc
Scooby Regular

Old 06 April 2005, 05:43 PM
barryc
Scooby Regular

top for the evening readers
Old 06 April 2005, 06:18 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

the normal 9 psi
A 1994 WRX should be running ~11.47psig if standard
The pipe that runs from the bottom of the 3 port solenoid should originally connect to the resonator box, but like you say it has an induction kit the pipe should be left to vent to atmosphere - if blanked you will only see actuator pressure as the solenoid will not be able to 'bleed' air to maintain boost.
If you are seeing overboost look HERE to enable the ECU diagnostics which will pulse the boost solenoid, enabling you to clean it by spraying brake cleaner in the ports

Cheers
Old 06 April 2005, 09:06 PM
barryc
Scooby Regular

Sorry Dellboy you are correct in saying 11.47psi and yes the car is standard as far as we know. We tried cleaning the boost solinoid and even swapped it for mine. This did not clear the fault but the extra run might explain a bit more, when he really puts his foot down and is changing through the gears he gets an initial spike and then it hits cut or setlles back down to around 12 psi. In the same area there is 2 more bits of kit with boost pipes to them. Would it be worth while changing them over?
Cheers
Barry C

Last edited by barryc; 06 April 2005 at 09:13 PM.