Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2005, 03:46 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaky rocker cover gasket

are these easy to change ??
and roughly how much are they ??
changed the oil on my car today and notice that both sides seem to have been weeping, nothing major but enough to give a burning oil smell every so often when it drips onto the exhaust.
Old 12 March 2005, 05:46 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by rgv_stu
changed the oil on my car today and notice that both sides seem to have been weeping, nothing major but enough to give a burning oil smell every so often when it drips onto the exhaust.

Quite easy to change it would seem. About to do it myself after reading the various descriptions available in search.
I had to buy two rocker cover gaskets for each side as there are two different patterns available, one 'T' cross section, one 'flat'. Dealer could'nt confirm exact fromat from my vin, so I bought both..
I bought: 2 cover gaskets(one t one flat) 2 spark plug gaskets 6 bolt seals for 45 quid. Cover gaskets being the most expensive.
You will need gasket sealer aswell, hope to be getting a reply soon....http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=410524

Good luck
Hakon
Old 13 March 2005, 09:26 AM
scooby_pimp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rgv_stu
I had this issue on my 95MY WRX about 5 weeks ago. Was gonna take on the task myself but then decided against it as I thought only one side needed doing, then noticed the other had gone too and thought ..."too much hassle for me".
Took it to Extreme Scoobies in Chelmsford and they did it in 2hrs for £170. I would save yourself the hassle unless you want the challenge. Don't know where you are but someone nearby will be able to do it I'm sure.

Pimp.
Old 13 March 2005, 09:39 AM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

i dont mind getting dirty and it is likely to get done when i remove the headers to port / heat wrap them, so access should be better.

hakon, keep me posted mate