Notices

Which Car, Which Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2005, 10:43 AM
scoobyboy34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Car, Which Engine??

I baught my scooby back In July '03, It's a 1994 ('L') Impreza Turbo, It was Imported from the guy I got It from In January '03. He told me It was an STi version one engine dropped Into a WRX body which Is an RA shell (Alli bonnet and boot etc.,) There are some clues to say that the engine Is an STi, the pulley cover has STI SUBARU TECHNICA..... printed on it, but the Intercooler Is black!!? I thought these were alloy, silver coloured, plus the Intake manifold Is alloy, STi's have red Intakes, or wasn't this Introduced until the version 2 In September 1994?

The car certainly has the power of the STi, documentation that came with the car says It has an STi ECU, LSD and Type RA gearbox 1-4, using standard fifth gear.
The log book says It's registered as an STi, are there any other tell tale signs from the engine that would identify It as being a true STi lump?

Other mods Include a 57i K&N Induction Kit, Bailey Motorsport dump valve, Genador 4" back box and de-cat centre pipe (I plan to de-cat the downpipe In the near future, another 12-15BHP??) Gymkarna adjustable coil over suspension (a bit hard, I recently discovered whilst cleaning a shock that the label says "For Circuit Use Only!!!)

I think the standard STi Import engine would boast around 280BHP, plus these mods would bring It around the 300 mark, after the Instalation of the de-cat downpipe 310-315BHP.

The Interior of the car sports black buckets with red and black stitching either side of the seat and up the back (I've seen these on some other K & L reg version 1 scooby's) would this be only available on Import cars?

Overall I've been pretty happy with the car, I have some other mods to do to it such as a front splitter and facelift style grille, colour code the side skirts, white dial conversion, front crystal repeater lamps, I could go on and on!!

Any clues to what my engine may be?
Old 05 March 2005, 09:11 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi scoobyboy i have an import it's an sti4 type r i have docs to prove as you say,i think all sti intakes are red mine is,so you are correct in saying so,my intercooler is alloy as i thought all sti 's are,reading from subary FAQ it states specification for the sti models can include blueprinted engines,with different pistons and crankshaft closed deck blocks,uprated close ratio gearbox ,uprated suspension(hard)and brakes,as well as nice toys such as intercooling waterspray and driver adjustable diff the sti engine revs to a 8250 rpm redline whilst the normal jap spec wrx's red line at 7500 rpm.hope this is of some help visit www.subaruimprezafaq.com all specs are listed, what's your model code ? cheers lee.
Old 05 March 2005, 09:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to check out www.sidc.co.uk and look under faq's
Right, first things first.
The original STi didnt have a version number, it had some uprated engine parts, pushed out 250ps (247bhp) on 100 ron fuel, has the same shell as a wrx, the RA version is lighter but only about 30kg, this will have shorter gearing, intercooler water spray, roof vent and possably the DCCD.
The 94 4 door saloon version will only have the likes of the intercooler water spray, abs, a plaque saying which of the 100 it is, it wont have a red top engine, that wasnt until the v3 came out.
Be warned about modifying sti's, you will need a knocklink minimum, plus octane booster with optimax to ensure you dont get det and kill the engine, an ecu is the safest bet as you cannot remap the early ecu's.
The interior should also be different to a wrx.
The chassis number will be the biggest givaway though, you need to check out the sidc site for that though.

Tony