Quetions,Questions,Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2005, 08:30 PM
Bumfluff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quetions,Questions,Questions!

Hi all
Have a couple of things i need to check on my scoob but i'm a complete novice when it comes to anything mechanical so hopefully you guys can help me out.
I bought my car about 2 weeks ago(my99 uk)and when i took it out for a test drive it seemed amazingly quick(compared to my 2ltr sport)but when i came to collect it it lacked the power i experienced previously .The car had been given an oil service prior to me picking it up.So after looking on here it seems that cleaning the boost solenoid is a good idea.
I'm just unsure of where it is and exactly how to do it(any pics showing would be great).
I checked the air filter the other day and this was sh*tted up so i replaced it.
Im also going to change the plug's and leads so any recomendations would be great!
Is there any thing else you think i should check while i'm at it?

Thanks for your time
Gaz
Old 03 March 2005, 08:45 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

Step 1 fit a boost gauge. You will never get anywhere with performance related questions 'til you know what the boost is doing. Step 2 check the MAF (its in the air intake just after the filter box. MY99's are prone to failure - afaik all new ones have got the part number in white printing on the flange. Quick test is to unplug the MAF when the engine is running and warm. It should die, but if it slows then picks up again the MAF is probably dead. Lamba sensor is also a known weak point.

Good luck
Old 03 March 2005, 08:58 PM
Bumfluff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grahamfrary
Step 1 fit a boost gauge. You will never get anywhere with performance related questions 'til you know what the boost is doing. Step 2 check the MAF (its in the air intake just after the filter box. MY99's are prone to failure - afaik all new ones have got the part number in white printing on the flange. Quick test is to unplug the MAF when the engine is running and warm. It should die, but if it slows then picks up again the MAF is probably dead. Lamba sensor is also a known weak point.

Good luck
Thanks mate

How much can i expect to pay for a boost guage fitted?Also(told you i was clueless)but what is a lamba sensor,where is it and what does it do?

Thanks again
Gaz
Old 03 March 2005, 08:59 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

You want to use ngkpfr7b's spark plugs also leads you can get them of ebay for a reasonable price, try putting a k+n air filter on they last for ages and are very easy to clean (just blow them clean with compressed air).
Old 03 March 2005, 09:05 PM
weis101
Scooby Regular

A Lamba sensor is an oxygen sensor which is fitted to the exhaust which will richen and lean the fueling
Old 03 March 2005, 09:10 PM
Bumfluff
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help guys

Do you think i have a valid case as far as the boost sloenoid clean goes.I have convinced myself this is at fault now.

Gaz
Old 03 March 2005, 09:13 PM
weis101
Scooby Regular

cant do any harm mate give it a go, think i have to do the same to mine i have an overboost problem
Old 03 March 2005, 09:16 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

hello BF, as graham said a boost gauge is a good idea, best thing to do is reset the ecu straight away.
you can do this by disconnecting the battery overnight.

fuel is importent with these cars so a good quality super 97/98 or even better optimax is a must.

if you do use 95 ron fuel you will find your car will become slower as the ecu pulls ignition timiming out as a safety precaution.

best to run the fuel off you are using now without giving it lots of boost and refill with a good high octane fuel then do the ecu reset, it works wonders for performance and fuel economy.

it would also be a good idea to forget modding the car for a good 3 months until you get a lttle more used to its power and handling.

hope this helps
Old 03 March 2005, 09:17 PM
Bumfluff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weis101
cant do any harm mate give it a go, think i have to do the same to mine i have an overboost problem
Do you know where it is and how to clean it?I've been told its really easy but i havn't got a clue.

Cheers
Gaz
Old 03 March 2005, 09:21 PM
weis101
Scooby Regular

Yes mate, it is bolted to the drivers side strut top in front it is a cylindrical unit with prob 3 pipes coming off of it as how to clean as far as i know you just use brake cleaner - only found all this out tonight myself - have been searching other threads

hope this helps weis101
Old 03 March 2005, 09:22 PM
Bumfluff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonny gav
hello BF, as graham said a boost gauge is a good idea, best thing to do is reset the ecu straight away.
you can do this by disconnecting the battery overnight.

fuel is importent with these cars so a good quality super 97/98 or even better optimax is a must.

if you do use 95 ron fuel you will find your car will become slower as the ecu pulls ignition timiming out as a safety precaution.

best to run the fuel off you are using now without giving it lots of boost and refill with a good high octane fuel then do the ecu reset, it works wonders for performance and fuel economy.

it would also be a good idea to forget modding the car for a good 3 months until you get a lttle more used to its power and handling.

hope this helps
Thanks mate.
I've only put optimax in since i've had it but havn't noticed any gains whatsoever(losses if anything).All iv'e changed is the backbox up to now and i have a center decat section ready to go on.Would it be worth putting the center section on and then resetting the ecu?

Cheers
Gaz
Old 03 March 2005, 09:40 PM
Bumfluff
Scooby Regular

Just found this:
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...hlight=surging

Look from post 14

I know its for a different problem but i might aswell give it a try

Gaz
Old 03 March 2005, 09:48 PM
Bumfluff
Scooby Regular

Also i've just found these on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...531046466&rd=1

Anybody know if there any good?

Gaz
Old 04 March 2005, 07:13 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am all for DIY on any car, but if you are not too experienced then contact Scoobyclinc just down the road from you.
They will sort everything out in short order.

Old 04 March 2005, 09:19 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

find out the plug number 6 or 7's whichever you want and then phone your local motor factor. a set of four cost me £23 approx.
Old 06 March 2005, 08:31 AM
Bumfluff
Scooby Regular

Just an update peeps on my quest to get the scoob running better !

Yesterday i cleaned the boost solenoid and resetted the ECU but with no obvious improvements.
I'll try to explain my reasons for doing the above the best as i can so here goes.

After letting engine warm up and take off in first gear the car seems no faster than my 2ltr sport untill about 3/4k revs(when the turbo kicks in) at which point the cars sounds like its screaming out for a gear change !
If i hold back and slowly get up to about 4K revs in 2nd and then floor it,it gives the kick i expected but while driving normally in 2nd gear and above you hardly notice the turbo kicking in(although it does and it is quick i thought the turbo would come in earlier in the revs as so the car wouldn't be screamimg like a ***** f**ka and would probably give you more of a kick)I havn't got a boost gauge so it is hard to report what the boost is doing.
Maybe my expectations were too high (or i need to get used to driving a turbo as i do tend to forget and gear up a bit soon-Used to driving a sport you see)
Only mod i have is a magnex 6x4 backbox(center decat going on soon)

Does the above sound about right or do i need to get to the clinic ?

Cheers all
Gaz
Old 06 March 2005, 09:15 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

a standard uk impreza will fool you into thinking its really fast due to a good 1st gear but once you get past that you find the car is lacking in acceration IMHO, have you considered the fact that the garage may of removed some aftermarket parts for standard parts which which inturn make the car feel slower. see if you can borrow SECS monitor from someone and plug it into your car then test the boost etc
Old 06 March 2005, 09:19 AM
weis101
Scooby Regular

is the clutch slipping???
Old 06 March 2005, 09:30 AM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

sounds about right mate, remember you will find in lower gears the boost comes in later as the engine isn't moving a lot of gas in lower gears so it in turn doesn't spin the turbo up as quick as it does in 4th/5th.

think all you need to do is get used to driving a turbo car

try this- find a nice empty bit of road, pull the car to a full stop.

in first gear clutch to the floor, get around 4500k revs on then feed the clutch in quickly, when it starts to bite floor the throttle.

be ready to change quickly as it will rev out very quickly then floor it again in 2nd to the red line.

try it a few times until you get it right.

its all about keeping the turbo on song.

what you are getting is turbo lag, all turbo cars have it, in my opinion the uk subaru isn't bad for it but if you are used to the instant kick of a N/A engine then it does take some getting used to, especially when it comes in mid corner
Old 06 March 2005, 11:42 AM
Bumfluff
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys .

Will stick with it and hopefully get used to it a bit better then.
As i said i'm going to put a decat center pipe on next week and a dump valve but what engine mod would you recommend next(just want that little more pull) without spending thousands of pounds

Thanks again
Gaz