Notices

coolant loss

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2005, 09:35 PM
scottystar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question coolant loss

right here goes, just fitted a new radiator to me scoob (thanks dave, API) after the old one burst, i guessed it burst due to old age, but im worried now the car loses coolant depends how long i drive it for as to how much it loses, but when stationary it blows cold air out, i presumed this to be an air lock, but after reading some posts on here about this quite common problem, im worried about the possibility of the head gasket having gone and the system being pressurized by fumes, ive tried all ways to get the air out of the sytem but it always returns (when you rev the engine it blows bubbles up the header tank) i start a new job on monday and dont wanna be left stranded on the way there! what can i check to see if the head gaskets are blowing?

cheers
scott
Old 03 March 2005, 07:21 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have just done the test my friend!

If you have bubbles that continue to bubble after the engine has been turned off too, then one of the gaskets is done for.

API did mine, you know David, so you know you would get a fair deal to fix them.
Not cheap but better do it asap.
Unless really bad I doubt the car will let you down, just keep away from the turbo until you are ready.

Graham.
Old 03 March 2005, 10:02 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice Graham, One problem that continues to bite if left unattended to, is water from the blown gaskets laying in the bores overnight or when static. It forms a rusty line and then a noise similar to piston slap or loose hydraulics sets in and a rebuild is the only way to repair the damage.

Stitch in time etc.
David APi Engines / APi Impreza
Old 03 March 2005, 11:14 AM
Juliano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scottystar
right here goes, just fitted a new radiator to me scoob (thanks dave, API) after the old one burst, i guessed it burst due to old age, but im worried now the car loses coolant depends how long i drive it for as to how much it loses, but when stationary it blows cold air out, i presumed this to be an air lock, but after reading some posts on here about this quite common problem, im worried about the possibility of the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=head%20gasket" onmouseover="window.status='head gasket'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">head gasket</a> having gone and the system being pressurized by fumes, ive tried all ways to get the air out of the sytem but it always returns (when you rev the engine it blows bubbles up the header tank) i start a new job on monday and dont wanna be left stranded on the way there! what can i check to see if the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=head%20gaskets" onmouseover="window.status='head gaskets'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">head gaskets</a> are blowing?

cheers
scott

I had the same problem as you m8 changed both head gaskets

they were cracked

Split 2 Rads,was hopeing it was theremostat but what gave it away in the end was condensation/water mixed with the oil
Old 03 March 2005, 05:22 PM
scottystar
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys chaps, having just shelled out for the rad i dont wanna blow it, it does me in though, cos the car pulls just like it used to, runs fine, a little noisy, but its knocking on for 70k now, so david, where are you and how much roughly we talking, perhaps a pm or email is a better way to discuss this, im way down south in sunny hampshire but prepared to travel.

will keeping off boost help a little, might be able to save a bit wiv fuel too!!

thanks
scott
Old 03 March 2005, 05:39 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scottystar YHPM